5 posts in this topic

I'm interested in trying my hand at surf fishing. Can anyone give me some pointers in the basic needs I'll have just getting started. From rod to reels. Line, sinkers, hooks, etc.

Patrick, you can go to the top of this page and click on Wiki.

It has everything ya need.:icon_salut:

I have a daiwa sealine with a nice big spinning reel. The line is going to depend on the fish you are targeting. On my reel now i have 25# test on there and that rod is for big fish. But i take 3 rods to the beach so my next shorter rod has 15# tesst on it and that is for bluefish and fish in that size. And my last rod has 10# test for small fish croaker, whiting, pompano, spot,etc. Hooks also depend on the fish you are targeting. For stripers and red drum i like a nice big 8/0- 10/0 circle hook. For sharks 16/0- 20/0 circle hooks. I like the fireball rigs that i think are make by sea striker. There are different sizes that range from #3- 3/0 hooks and i like them for bluefish. For flounder i like 2/0 or 3/0 wide gap hooks. Coaker i like 2/0 hooks and for anything smaller fish (whiting, pampano, spot, etc.) i like a #6 or #8 long shank hooks . Back to the rods for fish like stripers, drum, and sharks the action of the rod is going to have to be Medium Heavy (MH) or Heavy (H), for bluefish i like a Medium (M) and for anything smaller a Medium Light (ML). For sinkers you will need something that you are comfertable casting. For keeping the bait in one spot use whatever will hold bottom. For a little action on the bait use something lighter. Hope that helps.:happy4::icon_rambo::icon_rambo: