14 posts in this topic

I got a few mullet last night at the pier, but hit the jackpot this morning. The mullet are thick on the beach from the pier to R.I. I filled up a 5 gallon bucket this morning in about 5 casts. They were still flopping around as I put them in my cooler with some Kosher salt. An hour later they were bagged up and in the freezer.

5852a58019281_resizemullet09.JPG.6526160

do you put the mullets whole in the cooler with the salt? i noticed you said you put them in the freezer an hour later. is that the norm? or is it personal preference? also, what do you use them for? and how do you rig them?

It is normal to put them salted whole in the deep freeze.

This is done for any bait fish.

do you put the mullets whole in the cooler with the salt? i noticed you said you put them in the freezer an hour later. is that the norm? or is it personal preference? also, what do you use them for? and how do you rig them?

The salt draws moisture out of the mullet making it tougher. I salt them right when I dump my bucket in my cooler after coming off the beach. I load up my cooler with frozen jugs of water so the mullet don't touch ice. It takes me an hour to get home from the beach. By then, there is usally a quart or so of water that has come out of the mullet.

I fill the bags, then add about three more tablespoons of salt to the bags, then freeze them ASAP. In reality, they never do completely freeze with the salt.

I use most of them whole drifting for flounder, but just about anything will eat them. I use mullet rigs on the surf and just hook them through under the chin when dragging them from a boat. I like to use stinger hooks also with the larger ones. I snell a 5/0 J hook and leave the tag end about 5", then tie the stinger hook (4/0) J on the tag end with a palomar or an improved clinch knot. I also like to tie two jigheads spec-rig style and hook a whole mullet on each one.

Thanks for this info, this was right on time. After being at the Special Olympics event and watching Finaddict and another DMS fellow cast nets and catch a good bit of bait I descided, hey I can do that. I purchased a 3.5' cast net from walmart. Came home and watched a few videos on you tube and drove out to woodland beach to give it a try. First cast off the shore I got the net out in a crescent moon arc shape but managed to catch a sweet chunk of broken parking curb with rebar and asphalt which tore a small but mendable hole on one side. Relocated and found a good place to practice and have been doing ok. about 75% of the time I can get a good cast. I tell ya that cast net can wear your arm out if your not used to it.

managed to catch a sweet chunk of broken parking curb with rebar and asphalt

OMG ROFL, thats more than I usually catch!

AK0tA,

The best place to learn to throw is in your backyard. Before you know it you'll be throwing like a pro. There are different styles of throwing too. I see a lot of rt. handed throwers throwing the net from their right side. I like to throw from my left. Getting some upper body rotation into your throw works wonders getting your net to open fully.

Thanks Flatfish,

I have been trying both sides to throw from and I like throwing from the left and I am right handed but I think I obtain a better delivery. I live very close to woodland beach pier so I drop a line on one side and practice on the other. I have made big improvements and managed to bag a little bait for the freezer.

OMG ROFL, thats more than I usually catch!
I caught an old car battery yesterday... Tore my net to pieces.

Lol I have never caught a car battery but I have caught hub caps, wood,stumps, rigs,and PVC pieces... Also I have seen tons of different ways to throw a cast net... I usually throw from my right and I'm right handed... But I have seen people throw holding the lead line with their teeth, also I have seen this one guy who kinda threw the net straight up in the air but it somehow arched and opened perfectly... Hopefully you begin to catch better things than parking blocks with rebar... GL:glasses13:

First time I used mine, I figured I'd give it a good wind up to help help me get it to open. I swung around and wrapped myself in the back of the head with the weights so hard, I had to sit down for a while.

Its took me about 100 casts...in the backyard and in the water...to perfect my style. And I can proudly say that whoever sees me throw my way says what the !#$% was that?? Until it opens up nicely.

On the other hand, my buddy throws just as well as me, after only 10 or so casts, after looking on Youtube...then writing the "steps" on a piece of paper he keeps in his wallet.

Whatever catches bait is just fine.......:fish:

Its took me about 100 casts...in the backyard and in the water...to perfect my style. And I can proudly say that whoever sees me throw my way says what the !#$% was that?? Until it opens up nicely.

On the other hand, my buddy throws just as well as me, after only 10 or so casts, after looking on Youtube...then writing the "steps" on a piece of paper he keeps in his wallet.

Whatever catches bait is just fine.......:fish:

haaaaaaaaaaaa...........YUP...STILL GOT THEM ":STEPS" IN MY WALLETT AS A REFERENCE POINT.......