57 posts in this topic

Hopefully things should start heating up on the beachfront. Congrats to Ben on catching the first red of the fall season. Hopefully many more will show.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

I hope to get out at least once next week before the Harbor Tackle Drum Tournament. I gotta see if I can still cast! :glasses13:

went out monday, tues, and wens, all i have to report is some toothy critters, rays and skate, no spotted ones for me yet, hopefully the beach remains in tact for the drum tourney. it was getting pretty narrow yesterday, when the wind picked up i packed it up, 12 were washing up on shore, got a little hairy when the sand filled in the tracks, so all the buried fire wood was impossible to see, along with the fact that i ran out of windshield washer fluid and could not see a dang thing trying to leave the beach. well i will be heading down to the outer banks sunday and staying till thur, only to race back for the drum touney, migh be able to get out tomorrow.

Well I was out today for a bit. I was gonna stay all day thru tomorrow night but right now the orv is closed about 1/4 mile south of the bullpen. That and the ripping current had me pack it in. 10's were not holding. I am gonna wait for the wind to die a bit tonight before going back out. Supposed to go SE for a time. Wish the orv was open more to the south but something tells me they won't change it much at all tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

The wind is supposed to do a nice turn to the S/W for a few days and then it looks like back to N/E - N/W again. If the OSV is open, I might try to hit it for a few hours in the AM...

is AI open for driving? was going to come down sat. afternoon and fish until sun. morning, its a 3 hour ride, so wanted to see if it was open yet...thanks

For the most current info, Phone the NPS at (410) 641-1441.

Just called the Ranger Station, and as of right now (8:15PM) it's open all the way to the VA line.

heading down this tomorrow morning :o)

we always park around the bullpen, but was wondering if there was a "more favorable" place to go... any advice is welcome!

Hit the beach in mid O.C. this evening for about two hours. Pulled in a 20" Rockfish, nice suprise. No other hits. Was using cut finger mullet on fishfinder rig.

fished AI near the MD/Va line for a couple hours today.

small snapper blues everywhere, it was hard to keep bait on the hook.

No red drum caught by me.

When I was airing up there was a guy walking around doing a fishing survey, I talked to him for a bit and he told me that no one caught any fish other than snapper blues all day.

I was out on Thursday just after they closed the orv to just south of the bullpen. My plan was to stay on the beach Thursday thru very early Saturday morning but with that wind sandblasting me and being at the bullpen I wasn't feeling it. So I headed in Thursday evening. Caught a few small blues and sand sharks. 10's were not holding very well in that NE wind. I was out again Friday morning before dawn. Overnight they moved the stakes town to about 25 or so. 7:30 the ranger came by and opened it up all the way. There is pretty much no room at 29 on high tide. You have about 30 feet between the stakes and the ocean during the high tide/lunar phase.

I went all the way down and fished chunks and heads all day. Caught a few skates and 5 smaller sandbars. 3'ers and had one really nice run and hookup. Headshakes! Thinking I got my first red on and before you know it I see shark. Nice sandbar 5' or so......

Sure hope the wind is kind to us or else there will be no drum fishing down south.

It was pretty narrow today down south. There was a huge 3 or 4 foot shelf that was carved into the beach. I wouldn't want to drive off of that by accident.

How is the new truck doing Phil?

Hey Jim it's nice! Rides fine on the beach and now I have plenty of room. I forgot to mention all my biters were on a chunk thrown out as far as possible. Fished a lot of heads without a bite on them.

Yea watch that shelf, probably pretty easy to drive off that at night!

Fished Sat and Sun, like others it was like I was feeding the lil' snappers. I couldn't keep bait on the hook for long. Caught a king and a couple 15 in blues, but mostly I feed snappers for 2 days.

We were down Sunday morning for a few hours and like everyone else, the snappers were so thick I couldnt even get the rod in the holder before they were all over it. I think I set a record for shortest time to go thru 3 dozen mullet:) The only other fish was a 3' sandtiger, the wifes first shark. The weather was perfect. All in all a great day on the beach

5852a58048de9_Picture091.jpg.d06e5223525

5852a5804e156_Picture066.jpg.332c2e993ed

We were down Sunday morning for a few hours and like everyone else, the snappers were so thick I couldnt even get the rod in the holder before they were all over it. I think I set a record for shortest time to go thru 3 dozen mullet:) The only other fish was a 3' sandtiger, the wifes first shark. The weather was perfect. All in all a great day on the beach

Welcome to the site!

PS -- that shark you have in the picture is not a sand tiger. Because you can't see the fins on top I would guess its either a sandbar or dusky shark.

Thanks for that info Jim. Sand tiger was just an uneducated guess as I was under the impression that sandbars didnt have teeth and this guy had a whole mouthfull. But whatever he is, I went to 3R's this afternoon and caught 3 more just like him in between the usual snappers. I think that green float is the ticket:)

I fished the beach this evening with not much but a few blues, lots of small sandbars and doggies and one 40+ lb. southern stingray that really fooled me. It never stayed still and those wings sure felt like a headshake.

Very nice evening on the sand. :)

After a little investigating here on the site I'm sure thier Sandbars.

Just remember that Dusky sharks and Sandbars are almost identical and the smaller they are the harder they are to tell apart.

Went out for a bit last night. Fished from 4PM to 10PM. Alot of 24" bluefish and sandbars. I lost a 24" pup in the suds. I had I nice run and I am 99% sure it was a red. Missed it:angry3:

Did see a dead Sturgoen on the beach.

HPIM1618-1.jpg