Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest foxtrot uniform

Newcommer Please Help

15 posts in this topic

I am new to the maryland area fishing. I am moving from southwest florida, and I am bringing an 18 ft. flats boat with me. My question is where do i start? I am also tring to figure out how this forum works, so bear with me please :lol:

Hi and welcome to the best fishing board on Delmarva. What kind of fishing are you looking for? There is a wealth of information on this site and plenty to read through. Let us know what you are into and we'll do our best. :-)

:welcome: Foxtrot when it comes to boats and fishing the back bays and other waters there are lots of others here that will be glad to help you out. On other fishing I can say that a lot of us fish from of the beach, from the Delaware beaches to Assateague Island, so just ask away and I'm sure you will get the answers you need to make your fishing here on Delmarva just as good as anywhere else.

Welcome aboard :D ,,,glad to have ya on the site,,,sounds like that boat would be great for some backbay fishing,,,flounder, stripers and sea trout,,,any questions, just feel free to ask, we will help the best we can,,,you'll notice the forum is divided into different segments,,,just pick which area you need info on and just ask away,,,this is the friendlest site around.

Welcome aboard! you have found in my opinion the best fishing forum for the delmarva area! lots of great information and great people soo feel free to ask anything and well do our best to help you out!

Hello Foxtrot, nice to have you on board.

I see you are in Cape Coral.

I've fished everything from Lake Trafford and the Caloosahatchee River to Pine Island Sound and James Island.

We have it all in this area too.

To answer your question we'll need to know what area you will be living in so that we may provide places to pounce on the catch.

Your boat can handle many more places than the V-hull can. There are lots of gently flowing rivers where you can get into the shallows and catch anything from Bass to Perch, Carp, whatever your fancy. Even have the dams where you can find the 5 foot Catfish in a couple hundred feet of water.

One of the favorites around DC is the Potomac River. There are plenty of flats and structure around. The area has a yearly professional tournament for Bass. Along the same river you can find Striped Bass (called Rockfish locally) all the way south to the Chesapeake. Still on the same river to the north you'll find Smallmouth and some big Muskie. Plenty of the lakes have the Tigers, Largemouth Bass and freshwater Stripers.

If you are to the east, the Choptank and Nanticoke Rivers are a good spot to play. And of course along the coast all the back bays just like ine Island Sound.

So give us a radius you'd like to fish and we'll let'cha know the places, bait and methods.

Thanks for all the welcomes. We are going to be in Harford County, not far from the Gunpowder State Park, but have family with a place on Deal Island. The Susquehannah river is also a possiblity. Thanks and I look forward to your responses 8)

Hey i fish the susquehanna river up toward safe harbor ... good for catfish as long as they are there! The susquehanna flats are also great for stripers if you get a chance and like freshwater ( catfish and others ) let me know and we can maby make a trip somehwere! welcome aboard and hope to see in the sand!

For Deal Island, you can nab Stripers before the water gets too warm and plenty of Cat and Perch.

Some good crabbing too....

how do i add a pic to my signiture and avatar?

Up top you will see "Control Panel".

Go there then on the left side you will see "Avatar Control Panel".

You may upload your avatar through there.

More detailed instructions are in a Private Message to you.

I used to live up near there. I actually lived in White Marsh. The fishing is good as long as you are willing to hunt around. You aren't too far from the Flats, which, I have never tried, but hear incredible things about. As far as freshwater goest, you are pretty limited. You can fish the resevoirs, however they are very strict about the boat usage in the resevoir. I don't even know where to start on thier resevoir boat rules, so just visit one and check them out. The sesquehana has incredible smallmouth and catfish in it about an hour or so from you. You can be down in the bay in just a matter of miniutes, although I never fished that area of the bay that much. You are probably just over an hour from Annapolis where you can launch the boat from Sandy Point State park for a reasonable price as well as a HUGE Ramp. I've never had to wait in line there. 18' flats boat, you'll want to be careful though. The bay chops up really fast. If your goal is to fish the bay, I would even consider shopping around for something with a deeper hull to help in the chop, but if you want to drive further and hit the coastal bays or stay in the river systems, then that may be the boat for you. I guess thats probably enough info to get you started huh? As everyone else has said, WELCOME, I'm sure you'll find alot of information here, and anything that hasn't been answered, I'm sure someone here knows the answer......

Thanks for all the welcomes. We are going to be in Harford County, not far from the Gunpowder State Park, but have family with a place on Deal Island. The Susquehannah river is also a possibility. Thanks and I look forward to your responses 8)

hehe, i live not far from deal island, and have family not far from gunpowder.

i fly fish the gun for trout, its a great river, haven't tried the other aspects of it yet.

running out of deal island will let you catch allot of fish. rock, aka stripers are there now, see my report on the boating board. hardhead are in force, and perch. its not far from there to the bay, and is doable on a calm day in a flats boat.