big sean

Spooling My New Reel

4 posts in this topic

i just bought a penn 525 mag,what is the trick to get the line to spool even?

Personally never used this reel, but I have used conventionals before. Without a levelwind, you have to spool the line on with your finger(or at least thats what i've always done, never heard of another way). Just move the line back and forth like a levelwind would do. I know, it's very annoying and tedious, but it should be worth it, Penns are great!! Good luck!

Be sure to pull direct off the spool, allowing it to pay straight out. Let the spool turn, don't let it "loop" off.

Keep tension on the line, I run it around a couple bends a few feet away to keep it tight.

Hey there, getting the line on the reel is very important because balance has everything to do with the distance you achieve on the cast...

Below is a video from Tommy Farmer who is a casting world champion and he stressed the importance of balancing your line loading on a conventional reel.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_z8O...e=channel_page" If this URL doesn't work let me know and I can send another.

The single center hump does the trick on most reels (probably 75%), if it doesn't work spool all of the line onto another reel then reline using two humps, one at each end.