5 posts in this topic

I know everyone is thinking about andwaiting for those reds and stripers to start showing up but I had one more question at the end of sharking season. I recently loaded my Penn Senator 114h with about 600yrds of 50/80 lb mono. I noticed while in the surf, the line stretches A LOT when you kayak 300 yards of it out. My drag would scream when I had a fish on, but I never could set the hook. Was it from the mono stretching or just the shark spitting the hook? I had no problem setting the hook with the braid line, but it was only out about 125 yrds. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

You probobally have it figured out....if you have a lot of line out, there is more stretch...and a hook set alone might not do the trick. You may want to reel down (as with a circle hook), and run backwards 5 or ten yards as you do this...to sink the hook in. Make sure your drag is not too loose, as when the shark picks it up, but tighten a little when you lay in to them. With a j-style hook...id do the same thing as well except initially set the hook, then run backwards. Use circles when possible...it helps get a "corner of the mouth" hookset and helps releasing the fish.

Also...its a funny thing...but I caught a 5 foot sandbar this year that was never hooked. It was biting down on the hook, and wouldn't let go. When it got on the beach, we opened its mouth, and the hook was just a sittin" there...not inbedded in anything, no blood, etc...

Yea, I figured that I just needed to pull back a lot furthur to prevent the line from stretching rather than setting the hook. Im gonna give it another try next summer, I just dont want to spend $100+ dollars to fill up each reel.

And I guess hooks are the secret bait for sandbars, since they just won't let go:D. That's pretty funny.

Yes, I agree!

Use Circle hooks!!!

They set themselves, no need to set it, and they shouldn't lodge anywhere except the corner of the mouth.

No gut hooking and releasing a fish to die.

Makes for easier removal too.