14 posts in this topic

Here ya go, a report from AI...

Hope ya get better son!

Wednesday afternoon into evening, a couple of Atlantic Sharpnose Rays, maybe 10" across the wings. One halfway serious knock-down, gone when I got there. Winds switched from east to west and warmed me up, water FLAT!

Wednesday night, pretty quiet, east wind at maybe 5 kts, getting chilly. Quite a few slow "pull-downs" with a sharp release. I think it was probably old Charkey swimming into the running line, catching it on his fin and popping loose.

About midnight the little Rays really turned on so I pulled in the lines and looked at the stars with a brew in my hand and stayed warm by the fire. Sam showed up and we talked for a hour or two.

Got the lines back in the water about 4:45 Thursday morning and had a few small hits on Bunker heads just before the sun came up. Cooked up a pot of coffee on my tailgate and enjoyed the beautiful sunrise. Brought in one Doggie about 3.5' long.

OCSnapper showed up and we al were getting the little Rays again. He brought in a 60-70 lb Cownose. That was about it for me, left at 1:30 pm.

fire1-1.jpg

setup-1.jpg

rising-1.jpg

one-1.jpg

Great report and beautiful pictures :-)

Incredible pictures.....making me jealous, I need to get out BAD!!!!!!

Steve, do you mean clear nose skates?,,,those slow pull downs are typical of skates grabbing the bait as they fly on by and then dropping the bait.

Awsome pics Steve :up: .

Thanks for the report Steve. The pictures do look great. My doc says no surgery until Tuesday the 30 may. I should be fishing by this following weekend. I sitting here at home and making Jigs.

orngjigwc_186.jpg.289f63e3d01112483ee790

whtandyeljigwc_129.jpg.3df403e6d3902f824

Wow!

Those are some SWEET lookin' rigs!

At least you won't miss the summer on the beach. Some of the biggest stuff and best of times are on summer evenings.

Coop, I thought we "decided" those were sharpnose?

The pull-downs I had were typical of summer nights.

No matter how heavy the pole was, it bent WAY down nice & slow then POING, back up.

We had that happen a lot when the ST's were cruising the beach last summer.

get well soon :!:

nice jigs :up:

I'll be fishin' down the beach in @24hrs, I'll kiss 'n release one for 'ya :lol:

Atlantic Sharpnose are small toothy summer sharks that look like spiny dogs with teeth and small white spots. They are everywhere in OBX in summer but we get a few here and there in late July up here. They are a slendor small feisty shark about 3 foot. I think you guys are talking about the clearnosed skate.

Dunno' why sharpnose stuck in my head, saw 'em on the Tee Vee a short time ago, maybe that's why.

Clearnose sounds good, looked it up on fishbase.org

Kind'a shaped like a stealth fighter except with rounder wing tips.

Has the ridge line in front, up along the center line.

clearnose-1.jpg

:lol: How true....

If only stripers developed a taste for them.... I'd never have to pay for bait again!

Bull Charks love 'em!

They tear up the regular Skakes we see in the CB so maybe these too.

Worth a try this summer.....

Yeah, if Mr. Stripe liked 'em I could have an overstock sale with skates!