11 posts in this topic

Okay gents... help this lady out :o)

I love to fish, and would love to do so via kayak.

I've been looking online for a good used kayak, but not sure what I should even be looking for. I've read some great posts about kayaking out for shark fishing, which I'd like to try at some point.

Any suggestions on gear, yaks, or anything else would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Fish'n

Im no pro at kayak fishing by any means, but i have a little experience with kayaking for sharks. First, you will probably want a sit-on-top kayak for paddling out past the breakers, because you can easily just cut through the swells and let them wash over you. Also, I highly recommend taking your kayak out on the ocean WITHOUT any bait or lines attached, just to get the hang of it on the ocean.

Hope this helps, and above all, GOOD LUCK!

Im no pro at kayak fishing by any means, but i have a little experience with kayaking for sharks. First, you will probably want a sit-on-top kayak for paddling out past the breakers, because you can easily just cut through the swells and let them wash over you. Also, I highly recommend taking your kayak out on the ocean WITHOUT any bait or lines attached, just to get the hang of it on the ocean.

Hope this helps, and above all, GOOD LUCK!

mdhager

Do you think it's worth the extra money to get a fishing specific kayak, or will any sit-on-top do?

and thanks for the advice :o)

In terms of fishing, I only use my mine for deploying bait for sharks. I use it to explore around, but never really fish FROM it. If you are doing more than just deploying bait, I would probably invest in one at some point, because they are very nice and can be equipped with all types of gear, electronics, etc. Of course they are very expensive, but everyone needs to buy something for themselves.:eusa_dance:

If you just wanna use for sharks, again, a sit-on-top will work fine. But keep it short with a sharp tip; that way you can be agile and "cut" through the waves while going out into the surf.

Think about what you want to do with it.

If you want it solely for yaking out baits for toothy critters, you will have limited usage.

The more bulbous the nose and flat bottom types are very stable, but you will be thrown backwards on a breaking wave. I use this type for "entertainment" purposes. :D

I also have a heavier, more pointed nose yak but it is not as maneuverable.

This one I use for putting stuff on and fishing from it. I can throw my bag, a few rods, small cooler and such on it and cruise for hours.

It's difficult to decide on an all round yak, simply because the conditions are variable, a quick run taking baits out with waves, versus several hours fishing on calmer waters.

A smaller (under 11') yak is good for quick maneuverable runs out with bait.

A longer yak with storage space is good for actually fishing from.

Figure out which way you want to go and we'll go from there.

Where are you located?

Perhaps there is a rental place near you, or another member with yaks you can mess with.

how big are you? what kind of fish are you going to be targeting? where are you going to be fishing? is the price important? are you looking more for a quality or cheap yak? there are a lot of kayaks out there and the more information you give us will let us help you better.

No matter what you decide to buy, test-ride it first. There are so many nuances to the different styles, it is impossible to make a sound decision just by reading about or looking at pictures of them.

My wife just bought a Hobie Mirage Sport-it is semi-set up for fishing, with rod holders and ample storage. It has foot pedals but can also be paddled. It weighs just under 50 lbs. and is 9.5 feet long. Used ones I saw were only $200-300 less than a new one, so we went with new. Bethany Cycle has them in stock, if you want to check them out.