3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Thaks for all the great posts. I have acouple questions before I try a surf launch. First, I have a perception acadia 12' boat. the deck is enclosed. do you think this wqould be good for surf launchings or should i beg wifey to let me buty a s.o.t.???? also, when you guys fish, are you using the boat to take the bait out to fish from shore, or are you actualy fishing from the boat??? i'd love to try bringing one into the boat, but i'm a little nervous to try it with what i've got. btw are there regs for launching a yak at a.i.??

Hey hooked, I would get a s o t for the surf,,,I use them to yak baits out for toothy critters,,,its also popular to fish from yaks as well,,,I dont have any experience in fishing from a yak,,,all I do is just drop off bloody baits :mrgreen: and fish from the shore,,,as far as regs, there are none for launching from AI.

BTW, always wear a pfd :) . :)

Do a bunch of reading on kayaks and the ocean. There are three different hulls on yaks and all kinds of noses.

The wider the yak, the more stable but being wider it will get picked up by the wave and tossed back instead of nosing through the wave. The shorter yaks are good for agility in the surf, sometimes you'll need a quick turn to penetrate a wave or ride it back in.

My 11.5 footer does just ok in the agility department, but could be far better. With a stout nose I cannot penetrate anything over a 3 foot breaking wave. It handles the 5 and 6 foot rollers fine though.

I'll try fishing from the yak if the surf break is small enough, don't want to get my gear tossed out.