6 posts in this topic

I am planning a weekend trip to <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym> around the 24th of October to overnight on the beach and fish.

I am looking for any suggestions or recommendations in regards to logistics, how far down beach to go, can you camp on the beach directly, thinking about tides of course, if not any campsites recommended?

Is this too late for red drum? If so, what else is running at this time?

I am a semi experienced surf fishing and am planning on bringing several large spinning rods, to shorter trolling type rods which I will kayak out past breakers.

Do I need a license? Are there any day/weekend 4wd passes?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated?

you are not allowed to sleep on the beach during the night unless you are in the campground. There should be plenty of oceanside campsites available.

Red Drum have been caught up until Thanksgiving, but its quite rare for them to be caught after the 1st or 2nd week of October. You would have better luck with a large striper or blue or if you are really lucky a large trout.

Kayaking will be very hit and miss because of water conditions. That late in the season its usually not worth it.

No license is required to fish on AI, and only yearly passes to the OSV zone.

Jim, thanks for the heads up.

I know its hit or miss time wise, would you suggest moving the trip up like the weekend of Oct 10 to try to get into drum, or back for better shot at striper or blues, or is this date as good as any for blues.

I know I used to fish for blues in NC usually later in the years.

if you can move your trip the end of sept or around thanksgiving would probably be best.

If you can't move, don't sweat it, you never know what weather patterns are going to do. In the fall there is always a chance at a nice fish from the surf.

last year I got. 45 in rock out of the surf the week before thanksgiving... Also rocks could show up any time between October and December depending on weather patterns and water temp so basically any time can be good in that span of time... So fishing is pretty good during that time

Go fishin! That is a beautiful time on assateague. Stripers start runnin and the weather is perfect. Go getem!