8 posts in this topic

So... I am getting off the sand so to speak. We bought a boat a few weeks ago (19ft Seapro DC)and so far have just been getting to know it by cruising around Assawoman. Just got my radio today and I'm waiting on my GPS. How many of you guys boat fish as well? I'm thinking that fishing CBBT until xmas and trolling off the beach for the fall run will be good times. Do you guys ever really winterize? or do you trailer down to Virginia to fish in the winter?

This site has been a great help with surfcasting. So just asking about boating. Thanks, Pat

I also have a 18ft Sea Pro which I bought last spring. I winterized from around December to March and had no issues. I also replaced the empeller in tthe spring. I was thinking about getting a boat gps but a handheld is fine for around here. The trolling scene here last fall was awesome. CBBT is on my todo list for this winter. Ive been doing alot of boat fishing but the sand is still in my blood.

I plan to leave my 27' Wellcraft in the water all year, but I will winterize the head, galley, shower, live well, and all other fresh and raw water systems after the first hard freeze.

I won't winterize the outboards until after the majority of the Stripers leave the Chessie. December?????

December not the end? or too late? I was told they linger around the CBBT all winter. Could be misinformation.

On a GPS through hull or handheld? I went with the handheld radio. I can't see taking this boat more than a few miles out. Hadn't considered a handheld GPS. I just figured the through hull with fishfinder would be a nice feature for bottom contour. Thoughts?

PS I'll still be on the beach. We enjoy it too much.

December not the end? or too late? I was told they linger around the <acronym title="Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel"><acronym title="Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel">CBBT</acronym></acronym> all winter. Could be misinformation.

On a GPS through hull or handheld? I went with the handheld radio. I can't see taking this boat more than a few miles out. Hadn't considered a handheld GPS. I just figured the through hull with fishfinder would be a nice feature for bottom contour. Thoughts?

If you can get a combo ff and gps then do it. I personally wouldnt. If your unit breaks or gets stolen your losing both of them. I have a cheap handheld gps and a cheap through hull Hummingbird ff. The ff is black and white but i still can see structure. Thats a $250 combo.

I don't trailer, too big...

For me, the CBBT is 92 gallons away, each way!

It all depends on what you want to spend, everything is out there for a price. I have a Lowrance X67C FF/DF and a Garmin 67CSX GPS that I mount on my yak. They work fine (about a $500 combo).

You don't go through hull for the transducer, it mounts to the aft keel.

(on the yak I go thru-hull though)

An 83/200 transducer would work well for you in the depth range you would operate (less than 500').

Both of these items you pop off and carry away with you.

If ya really wanna' go hog wild, Garmin and Lowrance make some crazy-cool stuff for $2500. But for what you purport to do, the carry-away units will work for ya.

Hey, it's been done for centuries without any fancy foo-foo electronics.

:D

PWF, congrats on your first boat! I never winterize my OB but make a point to run it at least monthly and keep the tank full of gas with the addition of "startron". Things around here change with the seasons (somewhat) but there is fishing "year round". You can spend a little or alot on gps, dethfinders, chart plotters etc but one thing you can't spend enough on (IMO) is safety equipment! A good handheld vhf and a fixed mount one on the vessel are a good start not to mention the pfds, throwable device, flare and first aid kit. So without me running on any longer think about not just hooking up but getting back! Enjoy your new rig!:cool::cool: