5 posts in this topic

Folks, my wife wants to switch over to this setup. New/last year's model or gently used would be OK.

If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Steve

Don't plan on being in shallow water with the foot paddle type, they will get buried. For anything over 18" deep, it's nice though.

I get into water so shallow that I have to push with my hands in the sandy bottom, Redfish tailing in the grasses and such.

Steve, she bought the Mirage Sport model. A feature that is new on them, I believe, is a deal where you can used the foot pedals to pull the paddles flush to the bottom of the yak, then bungee-cord the pedals to keep the paddles flush. The drive mechanism also just drops/clicks in place, then you remove it by unlocking 2 small levers. Pretty neat.

That does sound pretty cool, but can you do all the stowing while in the water? In the Keys, I travel across grassy and shallow areas that would hang the "flippers".

But for traversing across open areas, the flippers would be great to have, in addition to oar paddling.

If you mean stowing the paddles in the water, yep. I think she pulls them towards her or something, then they have a dedicated "catch" for the bungee hook, which holds the peddles in position, which hold the paddles flush to the bottom of the yak.

We've wanted to rent kayaks in the keys when we go down for a month in the wintertime, but I could buy new ones for what it would cost to rent them for any length of time. Outrageous.