5 posts in this topic

I'm planning to fish Assateague Island (Virginia side) in September or October. Are sharks within range at that time of year? Big sharks? If so, what kind of bait should expect to use at that time of year? I have a kayak and Penn 113,114, and 115s on short rods. Oh, and will it be too cold to yak bait out?

Or, am I wasting my time? Should I focus on reds or something?

Thanks.

i would personally focus on reds in september and october, but there should still be some small dusky and sandbars dependent on water temps, sand tigers can still be caught also in the 5 to 7ft range, again it all depends on the water temps. sandtigers prefer slightly cooler water temps then say a sandbar and dusky, the smaller ones are a little more tolerable of cooler water temps. just my two cents.

Thanks, I'll probably take your advice on that. I assume there won't be much beach sharking 'til next year. What's the general schedule for beach sharking in this area?

beach sharking is usual mid June through mid september. you can catch outside those times obviously but those are the prime season. You don't hear much about Sept because most of the diehards are focusing on another species and consider sharks to be an annoyance so they don't usually report those catches unless they are really thick enough to complain about.

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. I just bought these rods and reels and that gives me until next summer to do some work on the rods (the guides are shot).