10 posts in this topic

Tj and i headed out of Little Creek around 7:30 and went straight to cast netting bait. After catching 15 spot and a 13in. puffer fish we headed out to do some buoy hopping. On the 3rd buoy we came to we found our first cobia. He was sitting with his belly on the side of the buoy and his fins out of the water. It was an awesome site. We hooked up and after a 1 mile drift and a 50 minute fight on light tackle I managed the 52in cobia into the net.

We checked a few more buoys on the way across the mouth of the Chesapeake with no luck. We did see one on top tailing but he dove down before we could get to him.

Around lunch time we hit Latimer Shoal for some bunker in the cast net and had more than enough in 10 minutes. 20 minutes later we arrived at the spot and threw some bunker over to see what we could do. Within 15 minutes Tj's rod went off and we soon had a 47 in bull red in the boat. With a quick release we had him back in the water and sent him on his way.

15 minutes later my rod finally went off. Thank god because i was tired of catching 2oz black wills and watching Tj have all the fun!! A bit later I landed a 48in red! What beautiful fish these big reds are.

As if on a timer 15 minutes went by and my rod went off again. It was a big red for sure. It took 20 minutes to get him in. He stayed on the top the entire fight. Once we saw the hook placement on this fish i have no idea how i landed it. I should have played the lottery last night!!! This 50 1/2in fish was barely hooked in the skin!! I touched the hook and it came out!!

We wrapped the day up with a 1 cobia, and 3 release citations on red drum. Sorry Dixie, no sand on my feet, but i guarantee we had as much fun. Made the run at around 50mph back to Little Creek to try and beat the storm heading out the bay. Made it back safe and had an awesome day.

5852a57d9abdb_Tjs52in.JPG.740cbe7d97cb35

cobia.JPG.fcd67f91c24a99ccc70088665c8694

5852a57da4fd2_tjs47.JPG.e6781ecea5afb10b

5852a57dab17c_redrelease.JPG.2ca47e9d6a0

5852a57db1180_fighting48.JPG.cf45d931d27

5852a57db4abb_48red.JPG.abdb4549f35910ab

5852a57db9f25_foulhook.JPG.3f297335d7b2d

5852a57dc04e1_50red.JPG.d1fb02090a35c066

5852a57dc7942_48inred.JPG.eaf51baeca52f4

5852a57dce3ff_tjcobia.JPG.cea8abcdcf9621

Ain't nutting to be sorry about!

Sweeeet stuff there!!! To catch reds on such a bluebird day and land a few cobes as well is awesome stuff.

Looks like it may blow N/NE some next week....should get dem spots and mullet thinking about the fall runa dn maybe push a few yearlings out as well!

Nice report! Ya still need to get one from da sand though!!!:icon_rambo:

I'd love to try them from the beach. I'll have to get up with you guys sometime. Ive always been a boat fisherman, and never tried from the beach other than some pups in the creeks on the ES.

Awesome Job! What a day :)

The reds are running hard!! One of my friends called me and said that they caught 11 the other night and had 8 release citations.

Doug

Very nice fish, I know you are glad to have the boat back!

I talked to Bucket about getting you, Dixie and a few of the Vcan group to go out

but we have had back to back weekend storms (not that I'm scared of a heavy sea)

The boat has only been out of the slip once since we came back from Hatteras

Let's try to put something together soon

Lou

Doug, Great post!

Lou, I'm open and game for makin' a run on the Scratch Pad this weekend :happy7:

Be like Christmas come early :icon_santa:

Mark

Cant go this weekend Ive got some side work to get done. Turns out my boy eats as much as i do. If you guys are going to go, Lou a quick phone call can point you in the right direction. It is nice to have the boat back for sure. You guys need to get out there though. The reds are running hard and I'm not sure if its not an early or larger run than normal.