8 posts in this topic

I fished the same area today where I have been slamming the flatties and caught 1 fish, about 9" long. The water was dirty on the bottom and somewhat clearer on top. My strip baits kept coming back all brown and gnarly.

The good news is that I have now seen 4 cobia in the last two trips, 3 today near the flattop.The largest one I saw today was about 60" long. It was freakin huge. The other three were all in the 48" range. When I saw the first one I assumed it was a shark, until it swam right up to the transom. That's the first one I have ever seen. What a thick powerful looking fish. I've never fished for them but now I'm thinking about targeting them. I know they will take live spot and eels. What size hooks should I be using? Are there any good lures to throw at them?

I hear white bucktails with a tipper works. That is pretty kool to hear. That is a first for me.

I have caught them on strips of squid(1"x 7 or8" cut in a wedge shape) on a big jig head. Or even a strip on a bare hook (no weight) used on spinning gear.. Cast it in front of him or drift it back to him and tease him till he hits it or leaves.

I have caught them on strips of squid(1"x 7 or8" cut in a wedge shape) on a big jig head. Or even a strip on a bare hook (no weight) used on spinning gear.. Cast it in front of him or drift it back to him and tease him till he hits it or leaves.

I knew you would be ALL OVER this one.:icon_salut:

I was at the Flat-top on the 25th, as well. The Cobia siting makes sense because I saw a lot of big Rays in the area. Down south I know that Cobia actually swim underneath the Rays. I think they like the shade they provide. I didn't see any Cobia myself, but I'll be ready for them if I go back to the Flat-top again.

Thanks for the info and replies guys.

SAW, I believe I may have seen you out around there mid morning. I was in the Maycraft CC.

Were you in a DC?

Nah, Flatfish, I was in a 16 1/2' Jon that day and I wasn't out there until around 2:45. I usually run a 22' CC but it was so flat that day and since I was by myself I decided to take the little boat. I'll keep an eye out for you next time.