Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chomper

Extreme Sharkin Rig

2 posts in this topic

Chomper, that looks pretty serious! Can you explain what it does? (what size hooks, how long leader, it obviously floats, but how deep does it run?)

Here goes. It is about 30' overall length. Divided in half with an 800# swivel. Another swivel attaching the drops to the hooks, which are 16/0 J hooks. It is 3/32" SS cable for the main leaders. The first half of the main leader has a LARGE snap swivel for the weight. The drops are 1/8" SS cable. The fellow sharkers in Texas who made it for me tell me that it is designed for catching LARGE Tiger sharks. They say that a tiger can and has bitten through the 3/32 " cable. The shark in Maxwells World record photograph was caught with a very similar rig. This type of rig was developed in the early sixties, by some of the original pioneers of "extreme" sharking. The overall length of the cable can be made to any personal choice. But this rig is tried and true, landing many BIG sharks through the years. These rigs are made to fish the bottom with a very large bait. Hope this helps. Ask any questions fellas...I cant wait to put it to use in some prime time sharkin waters... 8)

Good luck,

chomper :)