12 posts in this topic

Well she rides nice on the sand!!!!

5852a57d27e34_Scodarifamily005.jpg.6e1f2

what about lightning? Do you guys hang out and wait for it to pass or run? Trying to get a feel for what most do.

If I don't hear thunder or see streaks I usually don't worry about it. Once I see streaks or hear some thunder i'll check the radar or call someone to check it for me. If its just a passing storm i'll sit in my vehicle on the beach and wait it out. I just reel my rods in and I don't go near them until after the storm passes.

Depends on how the fishing is! :icon_pirat:

Thanks for the info. Last night we were down at the line and while there was nothing coming from the south there was a storm to the north. Wondering if it is safe on the beach during a storm or not.

One bite off on the shark rig. Lots of grass down south. Right now i am just having fun driving on the beach!:blob1:

If you can hear thunder, it is close enough to get you.

Lightning can, and does, stretch 30 miles to "reach out and touch someone". It's called the "bolt from the blue" (blue skies).

If you live through a strike, expect months of rehab and a changed life, messed up nervous system, difficulty walking, scarring, slurred speech, difficulty hearing, etc. And this is AFTER you have to relearn how to feed yourself, dress yourself, and everything else.

I have seen it strike someone and I know what it can do.

Not trying to scare you Phil, just trying to instill a great respect for it. I know you, and I know you don't play with it (from what I've seen).

I hide in my truck and watch a movie on my laptop or take a nap.

I'll check the radar and if it looks like it is going to be hours, I'll quickly pack up and leave.

Yea Steve I guess I wasn't clear about my question. I am not talking about fishing during a storm but is it ok to hide out in your truck or should you run off the beach?

Sure, like I said, I hide in the truck if it is a short storm.

Just don't touch any metal inside while you hide.

Sorry bout that, I am the one that should have been more clear.

:D

the big thing to remember is what steve said, lightning will travel 30-40 miles away from a storm sometimes, you dont have to hear thunder to be in danger.

sitting in your truck is ok, but if its a bad electrical storm get the heck out of there, you dont want lightning to strike you vehicle, it will blow the windows out, blow your tires out, fry anything electrical and destroy your ear drums.

if i can see the storm clouds moving in and i see the lightning i pack it up and come out when theres better weather. I just dont risk it too much. Sometimes i will hide out in our vehicle but thats only if theres a strong bite or a tourney.

I think the element here is just use common sense. If its a bad storm right on top of you get out of there. If its a distant storm just stay in the vehicle and let it pass.

Anyone who fishes at night during the summer months can see lightning almost everynight. If you pack up and leave every time you see some distant "heat" lightning you will never get to fish.

Yea Jim your right. I was always quick to take off when I was fishing the walkovers. Collecting your rods and packing up and then dragging that aluminum beach cart with those 12 rods sticking straight up was not cool in threatening weather. I always left early. Anyway I am hoping that I can ride out some storms in the truck.

That pic of your truck is looks very professional and could be used for advertisement. Very Nice. As for the bad weather...I don't like to take chances when I am just out fishing for the fun of it, I will pack it in unless I know for sure it will pass in a few minutes. Although, if it is a tourny I will fish through anything. You can't win unless your lines are in the water.