9 posts in this topic

I'd like to put 6 crab pots in Isle of Wight Bay. I think I need a permit to do so, but I don't know where to get one. The DNR website is ambiguous at best.

HELP!!

ou most likely need a commercial license. i think the only way a non commercial can use a post is if they own shoreline, and then its 1 pot

ok here are the regs for the coastal bay

Crab Season: April 1 to December 31

License: No license required.

Daily Time Restriction: None

Minimum Size (measured from tip to tip of spikes):

o Hard Crab - 5 inches

o Soft Crab - 3 1/2" inches

o Peeler Crab -3 1/4" APRIL 1 - JULY 14; 3 1/2" JULY 15 - DECEMBER 15

Daily Catch Limit:

One (1) bushel hard crabs per person, but not more than two (2) bushels if two (2) or more persons are on a boat.

IT SHALL BE LAWFUL:

1. To crab in the Coastal Bays of Maryland's Atlantic Ocean and their tributaries using:

1. not more than 600 feet of baited trotline, with a float of the same color, size, and shape attached to each end; or

2. not more than two (2) 600 foot trotlines if two (2) or more persons are in the boat; or

3. dip nets and any number of handlines; and

4. not more than ten (10) or a combination of ten (10) collapsible crab traps or crab net rings per person from docks, piers, bridges, boats, or shorelines; or

5. not more than twenty-five (25) or a combination of twenty-five (25) collapsible crab traps or crab net rings, if two or more persons are in the boat.

2. For waterfront property owners to set a maximum of two (2) crab pots at their property:

1. attached by rope or line to the property or a privately owner pier or dock; or

2. attached to a pole in front of their property, not more than one hundred (100) yards from the shore and marked with a sign not less than six (6) inches in height indicating the owner's name and address; and

3. are required by law to have one (1) 2 5/16-inches cull ring on a side panel of the upper compartment and one (1) 2 5/16-inches cull ring on the lower compartment; and

4. are required by law to have a “turtle reduction device” attached to each entrance or funnel in the lower chamber constructed of wire or plastic, rectangle in shape with dimension not larger than 1 3/4-inches by 4 3/4-inches.

Yes, you do need a permit to have pots out in the bay,,,not sure on the particulars,,,I have a buddy who does have pots, when I talk to him, I'll post back.

Ok, I just got done talking to my buddy, he got a recreational permit back in 1980,,,he still has the permit but was on the understanding now that they are no longer giving those kind of permits but he wasnt really sure,,,he said to contact the dnr directly and find out for sure.

Thanks for the replies.

I called AnnASSpolis today, and found out that I need a commercial license.

'Fine', I said, 'How much, and where do I get it?'

'Oh, you can't buy one,' she replied 'you have to go through a 2 year apprenticeship, or buy one from someone'

At least I live on the water, and can keep putting my pots out for my 1/2 bushel per year.

now that sucks that you can't put a few pots out for your own personal use. It's not like you are selling crabs for a living. You just want to catch and eat your own.

ummm check into delaware regs

He lives in MD.

ummm check into delaware regs