9 posts in this topic

My Best buddy Mark ( trimlc), my cousin and my old man set off Friday evening to go for the big boys.......

On our way down, we cast netted a cooler full of peanut bunker and a couple larger baits, We hit 3r's around 6:00PM, and after some challenging incidents with the yak, had some baits out in the water....Fishing was slow all afternoon and into the evening.....We were even having trouble catching some bigger baits.....but around 2:45 AM saturday morning my cousin brought in a skate.......funny thing is we never like catching those trashy little suckers, but this time we needed one.......

Mark says, there's no time better than now.....So, in the yak he goes @ 3:00 AM Saturday moring....

We hooked a nice fat skate wing up to a monster 20/0 circle hook......to......16 ounes of weight...to......3 feet of 135 pound steel leader... to...15 feet of 150 pound mono...to 50 pound mono......my penn senator holds 500 yards of 50.....and that was atached to the big ST. Croix Hattares Heaver.......and this rod is a big stick rated to 16 ounces.....

He yacked out about 350 yards.......

After returning in the yack and Mark getting slammed into the sand ( I'll let him tell that story later)....We wern't sitting down for 5 minutes and I see the Hattares Heaver start bobbing a little bit......I walked over to it and see it bob one more time......then the alarm clicker starts slowly clicking.......As I grab the rod the clicker starts firing up to a full out scream........tighten down the drag....lodge that hook...and the fight is on......Back and down the beach we go for 35 minutes.......There was finally something on the other line that we have been looking for....for a long time........and thankfully we brought the right gear with us.......

It took Mark and my cousin to beach him.........we put the tape on him and he was right at 8 feet.......and really fat.......I know there are bigger ones out there, but this was our first BIG shark...and he was a beauty........He engulfed the entire wing and hook.......we cut the leader, snapped a few pictures and had a successful release......and watched him swim away......

It was an awesome fight and a team effort on all of our parts....Special thanks to my best buddy Mark., who is a fishing machine.......and to my cousin and my old man for being there and sharing a great experience.

Stan

2412t7o-1.jpg

hspc1c-1.jpg

2u70x94-1.jpg

24v7k0x-1.jpg

jskpxs-1.jpg

Next time I catch one I want to stick my head in its mouth.{as long as I have a big man holding its jaw} Yeah right!!!

The teeth on the thing were incredible......

What is the ideal water temp for STigers?? Are they continuing to move North...then come back down as the temp returns to their ideal range??

Very nice catch, congrats. Thanks for the story and pics, I know ya'll were STOKED!

A healthy release is a great thing!

Beautiful white teeth!

awesome catch! wtg! feels good doesn't it? hahaha good on you for the release too