7 posts in this topic

Being it was so pretty today, I figured I would try my luck a sight casting cobia. This is the first time I specifically went sight casting. I've seen fish on bouys and such but never in open water. My big boat is in the shop, so I had to take the little one. Being it is so low in the water I was at a severe disadvantage. But with the slick calm conditions I had to try. I took my youngest daughter and we went to go catch a cobia. Cruised out to the area of the hump and started looking. I saw a fish pushing water and we caught the first in short order. It was a rat. 35 inches. Next one was smaller. Cruised toward bouy 20 in the Baltimore Channel and saw two more but they dove before I could cast to them. The little on wanted to go to the beach at factory point so I started heading in. Came by bouy 3 in the York River and nothing until, 200 yards north I saw a wake. Told the little one there's a fish. She looked up and saw it as well, she said it is big. Made a cast and BAMALAMA. Hooked up. This fish fought well. About a 15 minute fight. The fish just wouldn't come up. Stayed straight below the boat for the longest time and finally got her up. Went straight to Wallace's and it weighed 55lbs on the button. Not bad for a first attempt at sight casting. My youngest is still talking about all the fish we saw. We saw nine and caught three. I learned alot today about stalking fish and what not to do. I spooked 6 of the fish with poor boat handling.

It was a great day on the water with my youngest daughter and got a citation the first time ever trying sight casting. The oldest one is jealous and said she would go next time for sure!

Good job on the cobia! What type of baits do you throw when sight casting? Live spot, plugs, large bucktails???

Thanks for the responses, sorry it took so long to get back to ya'll. I was throwing Live eels. On Saturday the 12th of September I saw 6 in the same area. Didn't catch one but didn't have live bait either.

Good top hear they are still in the bay. If you check out my post "cobia and bulls" you can see i caught my 1st this year by sight casting. We had thrown a bucktail to it, he looked but no take, and then threw a live spot and he nailed it. What an exiting way to fish. If you can throw a cast net there are a ton of spot at the down current side of the rock jetties south of little creek before the CBBT. We must have caught 20 in 5 minutes. Hope that info helps.