12 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about picking up some new gear, considering i've been using all my dad's old 60's surf gear and it's starting to fall apart(string holding the guides is falling off). just wondering what everyone is using. i'm a spinning reel man, but i know i've read about you guys casting conventionals, which i've never done before. can you really get a conventional out there that far, as far as a spinner, without using a board or a kayak? if you could recommend me a nice budget friendly set up(spinning or conventional) i would appreciate it, thanks

I use spinning gear and in my opinion, a conventional will cast farther because the line is coming straight off the spool instead of looping and flopping against the first guide, as it does with a spinner.

Some of the connie folks will give recommendations. If you look in the Gear section, you will find some info that you seek.

If you are fishing only a few times a year I would get an okuma avenger (spinning reel) on a 10ft tica which can run $150-$200 or on a 10ft ugly stik which can run $100-$150...if you are fishing the surf alot I would go with one of the higher end daiwa rods, St. Croix, Lamiglas, or even Ticas. Reel wise spinning reels that are very dependable and a lower cost are the daiwa black and gold series. Conventional wise I use daiwa saltists yet I have heard many good things about penn mag 525. You can get more distance out of a conventional once you get used to it but for some it takes longer to get used too.

One thing I have found out over the years: You get what you pay for(Most of the time). I dont skimp on reels any more. Cheap reels tend to backlash and birdsnest quicker. I don't spend $500 bucks on one,but I will spend a little less on the rod B4 i go cheap on the reel.

Just my 2 cents

For tournament fishing I will use spinning rods and reels for a quick catch. For larger fish when not fishing tournaments, I will use a conv. set up. I can cast both just the same distance, but conv. go further some of the time.

I have some exspensive set ups, but the cheaper set up catch more fish.:icon_salut:

I love the Tsunami Trophy series. Great rod for the price. It has landed many huge fish. For a reel, I have a slosh 30 on one Tsunami and that too is a great reel for the price.

When it comes to conv. reels, the Slosh 30 and my Saltist 30 is bullet proof. Don't backlash like some others. I also fish a Penn 525, now these reels are very touchy. I find myself picking out birds nests if I am not careful. I love the 525, but it is funny at times.

11' Tsunami with a Cabela's Saltstriker 65 Baitfeeder spinning reel spooled with 15 lb. braid is what I use. Not very expensive at all but feels like it.

ive got a slosh 20 and a slosh 30. bought the 30 off ebay for a good price, its used, but works great. the 30 is on a 12' tica, the 20 is on a cheap cabelas 11'6'' great white surf rod that was on clearance. the 20 has 15lb line and the 30 has 20lb line.

i have one spinning rod, about 12 foot, dont remember the brand but got it at bass pro shops and a big surf Tica spinning reel that i got off ebay. hardly ever use the spinning set up though...

i bought the first slosh 30 off ebay to see if i would like it, and i did. before i spend lots of money on a set up i wanted to see if i could deal with casting and what not.

where do you guys get the slosh 30 reel from?? i tried to look up where to get one but all of them are overseas(u.k.) I'd really like to get a conventional, casting one of those has me interested

search for daiwa SL30SH....they are an older model and dont make them anymore but you should be able to find them stateside.

I have one Cabelas Salt-Striker surf spinning rod...and it does a great job for 89 to 99 bucks...its great, takes abuse, and is fairly sensitive. I always go with Penn Spinning reels for the surf...they seem to be more resistant to sand that others ive tried, and last forever.

I also have a penn 525 conv. for my 12' st. croix (rated up to 16 ounces)....and its a killer combo. However, give me some small diameter braid, and a 10 or 12 foot spinning rod and reel...and it outcasts my conventional....but im not a professional caster.....yet. That said, I like using my conventional for throwing massive chunks out there...much better and stiffer and more torque for large fish.

It depends on how much time you want to put into it. You need to practice to get good with conventionals.....and spinning rigs you can pick it up and start fishing.