8 posts in this topic

my father in-law has his minnow traps out and catching bait for us, for this weekend. so Barb asked me can we use the minnows in the surf :?: I don't have a clue but Im guessing since there flounder, trout and kingfish caught in the surf, maybe minnows would be good :?:

i dont see why not. only issue that may pop up is if you casta minnow too hard they can come off the hook

i dont see why not. only issue that may pop up is if you casta minnow too hard they can come off the hook

:lol: good point Roger :wink: and my surf casting does need work :oops:

well there free, so I'll give 'em a shot 8)

thanks for the link Steve, I'll give it a try :)

Oh yeah, this rig keeps them alive too.....

I just use 1/0 through the upper lip/nose and a 2/0 under the skin terminating in front of the tail.

You can also use a small rubber band to keep them on but I haven't had to do that with this rig 'cuz I just toss them into the first trough.

I went to 2 hooks because the Blues were biting off the back half, not anymore...... :roll:

Steve this rig you are useing can you buy it or you fabricating it your self ? if your fabricating it where can I get the supplies to make it ?

Hey randy..ive used them in the summer and caught a few flounder along with blues and a trout at night! I always had a problem casting them off the hook too so any help on how to keep them on the hook would greatly be appriciated!

PS.. I think squid or bloodworm make the bite a little more appealing but ive had the same results on both last summer

Matt, you can get the 30 lb strand wire and crimp sleeves about anywhere.

RB42, if you hook 'em on as I noted in the previous post they'll stay on. If that fails use a small rubber band to help.

You just can't fling them as hard as you want.

I would normally use them when the fish were feeding behind the surf break or in the first trough.