13 posts in this topic

Hey yall im looking to posssibly whenever money will allow what should i look at (brand wise ) that are pretty cheap i have an older i mean like 15 year old haha or so but it still works i just need some more reach so to speak im lookin at about a 12 to 15 foot rod and i need to get a new reel to go on it .. so heres what i would loooove to get ... A Tica 12' spinning rod with a Penn reel to go on it butt like i said im lookin for somethin of those qualities on the cheap

Thanks for your help

Don't go cheap. You'll get what you pay for. If you plan to keep it for years, get something decent. Tica is a nice rod for the budget aware, with something like a Penn 850 or Cabo 60. If you want to spend a bit more, you can go conventional.

well i had looked at some rods at bass pro and cabelas ( online) and namely their line of rods and then a Diawa emcast or somethin like that

i mean is a tica worth the money

You're right, TroutBum, I recently got a new Daiwa Emcast combo from Bass Pro. Can't beat it for the money...also like those unadvertised sales in the store!

get a tica rod and a shimano baitrunner reel. you will have a good combo that can pretty much handle anything in the surf. I would also include a breakaway cannon to help heave big weights with the spinning reel. You can get the cannon's online for around $20. They do make a HUGE difference in casting comfort and saves your finger on those long rainy trips.

You're right, TroutBum, I recently got a new Daiwa Emcast combo from Bass Pro. Can't beat it for the money...also like those unadvertised sales in the store!

I just got a 12 ' Emcast combo from Basspro as well ... quality product with a nice BIG reel .. I think it holds 320 yds of 25# test. Paid like $114 with a 600yd spool of 20# P-Line CXX X-tra strong mono, delivered.

I just got a 12 ' Emcast combo from Basspro as well ... quality product with a nice BIG reel .. I think it holds 320 yds of 25# test. Paid like $114 with a 600yd spool of 20# P-Line CXX X-tra strong mono, delivered.

yeah i think thats the one i was lookin at

The Emcast reels are good, however I HATE the rods for casting weight and bait. They are like a wet noodle to me and have NO backbone to them. They are great for throwing plugs and jigs, but for chunking bait, not so much.

The Emcast reels are good, however I HATE the rods for casting weight and bait. They are like a wet noodle to me and have NO backbone to them. They are great for throwing plugs and jigs, but for chunking bait, not so much.

Ok so im gonna play the innexperience card here on this one .... why you ask Cause I Can ... haha ... so what kinda jigs and plugs are we casting from the surf these days ... i mean i know about like the jiggin spoons and what not but just curious

Please Send some Images to my Inbox

Thanks

Ok so im gonna play the innexperience card here on this one .... why you ask Cause I Can ... haha ... so what kinda jigs and plugs are we casting from the surf these days ... i mean i know about like the jiggin spoons and what not but just curious

Please Send some Images to my Inbox

Thanks

No sure exactly what you are asking here, but there are lots of things you can cast in the surf that isn't weight and bait. #1 thing that comes to my mind are bucktail jigs with swimming mullet gulp on them. Stingsilvers, gotcha plugs also come to mind.

If you go inexpensive, expect the results to be below expectations.

The main thing is, the setup won't last you for years and be nice and tight.

Cheaper stuff gets loose, reel attachment on the rod wobbles, reel binds up for no reason, drag won't hold, bail lets loose on a good fight, etc.

You'll wind up spending more simply because the gear went inop on ya.

As for what to toss, pretty much any kind of swimming rig.

There are plenty of pics and info on here.

Stop by the local bait shop and ask what is their top seller for that area.

ok so im thinkin i might broaden my new rig to Casting rigs yeah i know its more $$ but its an option soo give me some ANY advice . tips . tricks . and brands and products for me to look at....

Also, look in the For Sale area here, a number of good deals....