8 posts in this topic

Has any one ever had any sucess at the <ACRONYM title="Ocean City">OC</ACRONYM> inlet with live eels.If you have please tell me what kind of rig and what size hook to use. :fish:And what way do you put the eel on the hook.:icon_pirat:

I don't use them in the OC area, but use them in the IRI area. I usually smack them to stun them a bit so I can put them on a hood. I use a 4/0 or a 5/0 hook.

How long can you keep them alive for?? Because i come down to oc with my family and i do fish the ir inlet to so that will be good but back to the subject, they don't like taking me to the bait shop before i go inlet fishing so i need to keep them for a while.

I put the hook throught the eels eyes and another trick i learned was to keep a little bucket full of sand near you and when your ready to put the eel on throw it in the bucket of sand and you will be able to hold onto it easier.

How long can you keep them alive for?? Because i come down to <ACRONYM title="Ocean City">oc</ACRONYM> with my family and i do fish the ir inlet to so that will be good but back to the subject, they don't like taking me to the bait shop before i go inlet fishing so i need to keep them for a while.

Eels are very hardy critters. Keep them cool and with water and should last a bit.

Eels can be reused and reused again...depending upon the kind of fishing you are doing. If they die....just keep them cold or freeze them...thawing them out before use. When they are thaw...youll have to break them up by bending them this way and that...so they regain their limberness. This is effective when fishing inlets and drifting....because the eel looks alive still and undulates in the current / drift. they are an excellent striper bait.

If they are still alive...a canister or bag with holes works well to contain them...and grab them with a cloth and squeeze tight.

There are both elaborate and simple ways to rig them...but google it...or go to "Stripers Online" and search it. There is much information out there. Finaddicts recomendation seems great to me.

Like Finaddict said-I use those hooks on about 3' of 25 lb. fluorocarbon leader on a fishfinder type rig.