4 posts in this topic

Brian, Danny and I wanted to put a spin on Flounder fishing, at least for us, so we decided to try a technique featured on a local fishing show that really appealed to all three of us, jigging for flounder. We departed Little Creek armed only with artificials and headed to the fourth island. Nothing spectacular compared to what all the expert flattie fisherman out there are doing but it made Flounder fishing significantly more fun for us. We fished for 3.5 hours and boated seven fish keeping three for the oven.

Water temp was 77.4 degrees, forth and second islands. All the fish came by drifting between the pylons relatively close to the structure fishing the transitions from rip rap to sandy bottom and slightly twitching or hopping the jig off the bottom and the fish all simply piled on. We were primarily using 3 to four ounce bucktails with Berkely 5” and 7” Gulp Jerk Shads but we also tried out the new Jerk that Jig jigs that are similar to Shimano's Lucanus jigs and they perfomed very well accounting for two of the seven fish caught.

Jigging really rekindled the Flounder fishing flame for me and with the Flounder bite wide open and I do mean wide open now I believe I will be out there very very soon. Oh BTW if you were using live bait I couldn’t see how a limit of Flatfish couldn’t be possible anglers were killin’ them on live Spot and Bunker!!!

virginia-flounder-jigging.jpg.26d0189e22

virginia-flounder-jigging-1.jpg.a1102ad5

virginia-flounder-jigging-2.jpg.42a364ff

virginia-flounder-jigging-3.jpg.c39e6075

virginia-flounder-jigging-4.jpg.fe998a60

Nice pics.

I love jigging flounder. The strike when jigging is probably the most aggressive. I normally catch my largest flounder of every trip while jigging, except when I'm fishing with live spot.

Chartreuse jig head purple hair and a white gulp what a combination. Never seen that one before. Did you tie that one yourself? Nice catch.

Very nice looking jig. That is my favorite way to flounder fish as well.