38 posts in this topic

:) Pretty much the same scenario as last week,,,stripers are still being caught and should continue until the beginning of June,,,a few sandtigers have been caught, along with reports of kingfish,,,a few more weeks we will start getting into summer fishing :D .

Get your feet in the sand,,,go fish and have fun! :D

:D well I have a fish story for ya,,,here is how it went down.

met up with Steve and Dave (ocsnapper) and Daves friends to do a little fishing today,,,saw Steve well south of my spot I have been fishing and so I decided to go a litte south of Dave who was south of Steve (Dave was in the middle),,,there wasnt to much socializing because there was a fair amount of distance between us,,,as the tide dropped, I kept moving my rods further south away from Dave where I thought there was break in the bar,,,Steve left around 1 or 2 and so I decided to call Sam to see if he was coming out because I was thinking about calling it an early day, I just couldnt get motivated to fish,,,Sam decided to stay home,,,after talking to Sam, I decided to remotivate myself and so I moved the rods down again where it looked like a little break in the bar putting me even further away from Dave,,,I figured I would give it a couple more hours,,,caught a 43" and was tickled to death a little after 3,,,after talking with Dave, I figured I would hang out a little longer,,,well after 45 minutes decided to pack it in,,,before pulling the rods out of the water, I decided to back the truck up to Dave who was at least a 100yds+ north of me to tell him I was leaving,,,well I got halfway there and saw the rod go down, my first impression was it was a cow nose, caught one earlier, so I stopped to just look at it for a sec, well a sec went by and the rod bent all the way down, I mean so far down, I thought it was going to be pulled right out of the sand spike,,,I got out of the truck and did a 100 yard sprint to the rod and I actually had a tough time getting the rod out of the spike,,,she was taking drag quick,,,saw Dave running down to me and I yelled to him to turn off my truck, because of the excitement, I was afraid I never put it in park and left it in reverse,,,well after all said and done, I caught my personal best,,,a 47" fat pig of a fish who actually put up a great fight,,,what a great day!,,,left Dave still fishing,,,I hope he gets into one,,,weather really was good for fishing, cloudy se winds,,,all fish were released,,,the first one, I had a problem and let her go to soon and she didnt swim away, so as I was going into the water and soaked my shorts to help her, a wave came and she put on the gas and swam away, thank goodness,,,the 47", I got into the water chest deep, luckily I changed into my swim trunks after getting my shorts wet from the previuos release and worked with her before I let her go,,,she swam away good,,,a great day,,,may give striper fishing a rest for a while,,,well, maybe not :wink: .

may2543_542.jpg.e7057344cd80468a59b76d7b

may2547_352.jpg.bc1f835bad69acd06908c730

may2543rel_116.jpg.6da85882d3cad89848b3f

VERY NICE :!: GOOD JOB 8) glad to hear you re-leased 'em :!:

I usally have a fish hit as Im about to eat something :mrgreen:

Wow great job again Scott - do you always catch two stripers a day!?!? :shock: Yet another inspiring report!

And I decided to stay home.............Oh well, it is our 4 anniversary after all, so I didn't really have a choice.

Scott, EXCELLENT JOB! You are the man. That is one big fish. :-)

Way to go Scott!!!!! A couple of real beauties. :shock::D:shock:

That big one has to be close to 40 pounds don't you think?

we thought it was over 40,,,she was hefty.

nice job coop, dont give now it's seems to be getting better :D

Fantastic Scott!!!!

Was it the lucky clams I left ya? :mrgreen:

Dern, if only I stayed a bit longer....

Oh well, always works that way, the fish go to the one that puts in the most time.

Great going Scott and class act in releasing them!

Steve, actually I used these very small bunker I got from Bev,,,I cut them in half and used the head part,,,both fish hit em,,,steamed the clams, they were good :mrgreen: ,,,thanx

Uh-Ooh, you ate 'em?

They were sitting in the sun all day..... :nurse:

Well, the wife left me this morning to meet her mom out of town and since Randy and the Mrs. were on the beach, I decided to weather the traffic and head down around 3pm. When I arrived on the island, there were rangers everywhere. They were checking traffic at the gate, the pumps and the ORV entrance. Evidently, there had been a lot more vehicles on the beach than allowed, and for most of the morning, it was 5 off, then 1 on. Randy waited an hour and a half just to get on the beach at noon. Luckily, I was able to cruise right on. We fished for about 4 hours and not even a nibble. The bait was practically untouched every time I pulled it in. :?: Hopefully with the incoming tide, Randy had more luck.

I am looking at another busy week of work, so I am not sure when I will be able to get back out. Good luck to those who try.

Happy Memorial Day EVERYONE. :-)

Awesome AI long weekend. Finally had a double digit weekend 48,47,46,44,44,44,43,36,34,32in Stripers but whose counting right. Got a few nice kings also. All fish over 40 released and all were very healthy and thick. Best bite was Friday morning on the outgoing. Had to use huge bunker heads to keep critters off. These fish were so spunky a few would go airborne. Lost 3 big fish on some nice runs Thurs dusk. I guess with those huge heads hook set gets a little tricky even with 15/0s. Fulton landed a nice 49 and a nice 46 Thurs afternoon and Erik got a nice one Sat afternoon. Once the wind shifted SW and water got real murky bite shut down but picked back up some once water cleared again. Water is warming fast. Poppy got 67 deg when I left Sunday. Just a couple of the larger fish pics. Fultons 49 and my 48. The 48 was a surprise as I was able to get over the bar on that west wind at midday low water. Once the wind shifted I could not reach same water so moved south. Good company and good time.

FISH ON!

48in_109.jpg.0573bb2c45336487aba38820999

fulton49_831.jpg.91f9610fd03058f9a8b3d6c

Great JOB, Dave! You are having a spectacular spring! Thanks for the report and pictures as usual. :-)

sounds like you had a great time Dave, it's back to the grinding wheel for me:(. Maybe i'll catch you on a weeken..If you see John tell him i said hello . Tight lines

well its been a long time but i caught my first striper Saturday,,,,,, ok so it was only 16 inches it was still a striper lol

i caught this award winning fish off of fresh sand perch fillets. what a fish lol....... still had fun and caught plenty of kings for a great meal on the grill......

EDIT BY SAM: Hey Ron, while posting a report, just look down till ya see "browse" and then locate the file on your computer. After that just submit as usual. :-)

40600082_769.jpg.5030a0d369ca16b9359a73c

Went out with the family today for a few hours,,,nothing,,,ended up surfing and swimming with the kids more than fishing,,,water temps close to 68* and actually getting comfortable to swim in with out a wetsuit,,,shark season is getting close :D .

Dave nice catches,,,looked like a great weekend,,,with water temps on the rise, the striper bite will probably start tailing off within the next two weeks.

Thanks, water warming so quick I think it may be over for the zebra fish off the beach. Took camper off and giving my truck springs a rest. Gonna hit it for a kingfish trip in few weeks. Usually peaks late in June but they will be here all summer. Bigger Sandbars and Spinners show the best by 3rd week in July but smallish Sandtigers here now but far and few between. Bigger Sandtigers should show next few days. Good job on that 47 Scott

What are the kingfish hitting?

sounds like you had a great weekend Dave, as for me it's back to the old grinding wheel:)

maybe i'll catch you one of these weekends. By the way if you see John tell him i said hello. Tight lines :)

Sam, kings were hitting fishbite blood worm but I think they will hit small cubes of any fresh firm bunker, spot or mullet the best. Cut cubes about 1/4in on #4 hooks on a double dropper loop rig. Do not use floats. They are bottom feeders.

Sam, kings were hitting fishbite blood worm but I think they will hit small cubes of any fresh firm bunker, spot or mullet the best. Cut cubes about 1/4in on #4 hooks on a double dropper loop rig. Do not use floats. They are bottom feeders.

that is so funny about the float, because every kingfish rig i have ever baught has had the littel round floats on them lol....

i used the spot/king fish rig from wally world{with floats} lol,,,with with fish bites and caught the sand perch then inturn used the perch fillets cut into small cubes to catch the kings they seem to really like the fresh cut white meat.

I agree with dave and use the same rig dave mentioned,,,very easy to make,,,I personally dont care for floats,,,I have used those kingfish rigs, but I just never cared for the hooks on them, so I make my own,,,I like to use small pieces of cut bunker capped with fishbite bloodworms,,,seems to be a deadly combination.