10 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have a few questions about fishing inlets. I want to get back into saltwater fishing, Haven't been in over 2 years. I live on the susquehanna river and have been fishing it for 20 years now i would say, so I'm inexperienced at saltwater fishing. My biggest problem with fishing inlets is when using hook and sinker I loose alot of my tackle due to snags. Is there anything I do to avoid all the snags? Certain type's of sinkers? Another question I have is whats good lures to cast and retrieve? I have a decent amount of bucktails in different sizes and colors as well as mr twisters and rubber shads. I also actually bought today was the berkley gulp baits . I've been hearing alot of good things about using the gulp baits for saltwater fishing. I was told to use different color combonations when using bucktails. Like white busktail with a chartruese mr twister or like pink/orange. I was told not to use like white/white to change it up. Seems like a fib but I dont know does that sound like good info?

Thanks Brian

The ocean city inlet is one of my favorite places to fish.. if the blues are running through you can catch one on just about every cast .. and there are definitely rockfish to be caught as well.

We usually use different kinds of lures - gotcha plugs (so far wal-mart is the cheapest I have found them) are my personal favorite but my husband also uses the hopkins spoons, buck tails, and I have played a little bit with a few other lures I have picked up along the way. Weight and bait is definitely not my preferred set up for the inlet.

Good luck!

Ya i forgot to tell you got cha plugs are very good i like the pink one with black dots, the red head and wite body, and if you night fish there or fish very early in the morning they have a glow in the dark one. Storm wildeye shad work very welll to.

Hey surffishing275, How are you rigging the gulp eels? I bought a pack of those the other day in the 10" size.

i dont know if you use the real eels but i will tell you anyway first take a 4/0 or 5/0 hook are through the bottom of the head were the chin would be and bring the hook through were the mouth would be. I use circle hooks b/c it is easier to get the hook out. Hope this helped!!:happy6:

i dont know if you use the real eels but i will tell you anyway first take a 4/0 or 5/0 hook are through the bottom of the head were the chin would be and bring the hook through were the mouth would be. I use circle hooks b/c it is easier to get the hook out. Hope this helped!!:happy6:

Yeah i use live eels. I was just wondering if you used a certain kind of rig like a carolina rig for the gulp eels. But i'll figure it out I'm leaving my house early saturday mourning and heading down to ocean city. Takin the surf rod too. Anybody know if your aloud to surf fish near 38th street by the convention center? Or can you park and walk out onto AI to surf fish? Dont think the mustang would handle the sand to well.

I dont know if you can fish across from the convention center. I dont know why you couldnt but im not positive. Same with your AI question. I dont think you would want to walk with your gear.:happy3:

you can fish anywhere in O.C. once the lifeguards leave the beach.

As for A.I, there are LOTS of poeple who park and walk on and fish. Most put their gear in a bucket or backpack and carry rods in one hand and small bait cool in the other hand. If you are going to walk over, you just need to pack for it.

I'll be down there saturday I'm going to stay at the inlet for the most part. might go out on the pier. Hit the sand at about 10 pm to try my luck at that.

I have seen some of the tog fisherman use old spark plugs attached with a rubber band that ,if snagged you can break off and still land the fish.Saves money for all the lead you lose in the rocks.And I use floater /sinker type lures for casting that stay close to the top when retreived.Bucktails/mister twister,Tony's work too.You can usually figure to lose some tackle on jetty's,it's the nature of the beast.