14 posts in this topic

I no some things about dogfish. Like they dont have teeth like sharks but i need to know what size hook to use and what # test leader. Are they in close or out farther. What kind of bait do they eat. And what # test to use for my main line.Thanks! I no theres a lot of info.

They will eat anything you put out there. bunker chunks and squid is what I would use to target them, Usually they are bycatch when fishing for drum stripers and blues.

I see a lot of your posts have been about #test -- don't get so caught up in that, I use 17lb test for just about everything in the surf except for sharks which i go up to 25 or 30lb.

Dogfish can be anywhere and mostly everywhere in the surf zone. Its usually not hard to find them!

Thanks alot what i think im gonna do is bring down a rod with17# test and one with like #30. Thanks again.

Thanks alot what i think im gonna do is bring down a rod with17# test and one with like #30. Thanks again.

If you are casting for sharks you really only need 17lb test.

I use the 25 and 30lb line on my big conventional reels for kayaking bait out.

For casting you could do some braid backing on the reels and then a topshot of 25 or 30lb mono a tad longer than your casting distance.

I have another question. When you are night fishing, if you wade out as far as you can, can you still catch sharks like sand tiger and sandbar sharks?

no need to wade out. Just stand on the shore and cast your line.

Hehehehe, yeah, like knee deep....

Please be sure to use Circle hooks, no exceptions.

Circle hooks virtually eliminate gut hookings and you will be able to return a healthy Chark to the water.

I no some things about dogfish. Like they dont have teeth like sharks but i need to know what size hook to use and what # test leader. Are they in close or out farther. What kind of bait do they eat. And what # test to use for my main line.Thanks! I no theres a lot of info.

you can catch doggies off just about anything, i usually catch them while trying to catch croaker or blues using a high lo rig with a 2/0 hook. as for pound test, i use 17 lb test, even for big shark, just look at some of my pics in past posts, all caught on 17lb test. why are you so interested in catching doggies, most people get annoyed with them.

Dave i come down to Ocean City a couple times a year. But when i get a little older and have some more money i plan on moving down there. But for the time being its just nice to sit on the beach have a tight line, have a fight with the fish, and see whats on the other end. If i move down there and surf fish alot yes i pobably will be annoyed by them, but for now i dont care if i just catch rays and skates.:happy6:

Dave i come down to Ocean City a couple times a year. But when i get a little older and have some more money i plan on moving down there. But for the time being its just nice to sit on the beach have a tight line, have a fight with the fish, and see whats on the other end. If i move down there and surf fish alot yes i pobably will be annoyed by them, but for now i dont care if i just catch rays and skates.:happy6:

If you really want to move down here, don't wait. Start looking for a job and make the move. Its the best thing I ever did.

I figured out on vacation in august of 2006 that I wanted to live near the beach and I applied for a couple jobs, had an interview in Oct 2006 and made the permanent move in November 2006. I never regretted it for a second!