17 posts in this topic

New moon! High tides around dusk! I have been looking foward to this weekend for a long time! I hope the winds don't blow too hard. I will be out on Friday afternoon/night, Saturday morning/night, Sunday night!

Something good is going to happen! :)

might want to consider wire leaders. :-)

Same here, Im ready 8) I think Barb has already packed the Escape :lol:

hey Phil, watcha' driving on the beach:?:

tic, tic, tic :mrgreen:

Question for you guys;

I fished this past weekend and cought a load of skate, shark and a ray.(thought the ray was a big one when it hit). Hillbilly Grand Slam???

I couldn't find a break in the outer bar, so I just fished where it looked a little deeper. Should I try to cast over the bar, or stay inside the bar? Is AI mostly void of structure? Is it generally better the farther south? I never went farther than 6 miles from the ORV ramp. I'm new to AI fishing and could use some advice. Should I concentrate on just fishing the high tides?

Thanx

Jake, there is structure throughout the island, it just changes often, especially after a big blow,,,the further south, you get into the flatlands but there is still structure towards the line,,,often times it is hard to find structure when there is little wave action,,,always look for cuts first then holes,,,cuts or turbulent water IMO are the ideal areas to fish.

So distance is not as important as structure? If I can't find a break in the bar, I should shorten my cast and fish the deeper water close to the beach? I read somewhere that the record striper was cought 50 yards from the beach.

I remember fishing OBX a few years ago and casting as far as i could every time. Turns out My bait was in only 2-3 feet of water most of the time. I decided to walk out on the bar at low tide and the bar was only several inches at best.

Thanx for all the help.

Randy,

I don't have 4wd. So I will be walking around. I did not like the upper end of the orv section last time I was there. There is another area that I fished most all of last year that produced pretty good for me. No people! I just walk around and see what I can find. I will walk about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile each direction from the parking lots looking for good water. Some good stuff to be found!

Capt Jake,

I usually fish 3 rods when by myself. I will usually have one in close, one medium, and one as far as I can throw. You never know where they will be. Sometimes in very close!

Yep, kind'a like alleys between the walls.

As you noticed, on top of a "wall" (sandbar) is pretty shallow and the fish tend to feed in the "alleys" (troughs) of deeper water.

Work the lines at different distances, short (just past the surf break), medium (mid way between the break and bar) and just this side of the first sandbar.

But heck, if you can get past the bar, go for it!

The wife and I are planning to hit AI with in the truck on Monday evening. I've heard that there's a limit to the # of vehicles allowed on the beach. Will I have a problem getting on?

Phil, I'll be in a gold Ford Escape and since we won't get into OC till saturday even, I may not make it out to the beach till sunday morning :D are you pulling a beach cart :?:

Bob, I'll see if I can catch-up wth you this weekend too, either by land or sea :wink:

who else is going beachin' and what times :?: I'd love to-do some night fishing :!:

Randy, a few of us are going this week, check out the "Join Me" forum.

Randy,

Yep I will be pulling a beach cart. I will be out Friday night, Saturday night, and I hope Sunday night! Saturday morning also!

then I'll try and meet-up wth you on sunday 8)

got a cell # :?:

mine is 443-392-5556 always-on :mrgreen:

Randy,

Check your inbox.

Phil, got it :up:

I'll give you a call when we get into OC 8)