5 posts in this topic

Hi all ... I just joined the forums and enjoying the great info.

I am an experienced freshwater fisherman but my recent salt water experience is limited to deepsea charters and near-shore bottom fishing. I am very excited about trying my hand at surf fishing when I bring the family out to Kill Devil Hills for the week of 15-22AUG. I think I know what I need to bring in terms of gear ... my biggest question is:

We are renting an oceanfront condo there in Kill Devil Hills - can I fish the surf right there or will it be too crowded on the beach? I would prefer to avoid drivin anywhere. To help mitigate beach crowd issues (and hopefully fish are hungrier) I was planning to fish around sunrise and sunset. Will it matter for either the crowd or the bite at those times?

From what i have read, it sounds like folks are mostly catchin Spot, Croaker, and some Bluefish. Should I just throw out a fishfinder rig and see what bites or is there anything in particular to target at this time of year?

welcome. I cant say what it will be like but most likely there will be a lot of people on the beach. the last 2 weeks of august are very popular weeks for rentals. if its good beach weather it will probably be packed with not much room for even all the swimmers. sunrise and sunset you should be able to get some fishing in though. just make sure you are respectful of everyone out there. in my opinion beach swimming and fishing dont go together well. I caught a bluefish rig in the hand a couple weeks ago when I was swimming with some family. there is also avalon pier in KDH where you can fish 24 hours. you dont need a license to fish on the pier either. as for a big bait on a fishfinder. you have the most probability of hooking up with big big stingrays. maybe some sharks and a chance at a cobia.

Thanks PierMan. I definitely don't want to be surf-fishing for the first time surrounded by people ... I don't think I trust myself just yet swingin 6 oz of riggin from a 10' rod without a wide berth. Guess I'll play it by ear and see how busy it is right by this particular condo ... can always fish one of the piers as a back-up plan.

Is there a particular rig I should use to avoid tangling with the sharks and stingrays? Maybe just a simple 1 or 2 hook bottom rig?

you can use one of those. as simple, plain, and old as they are they are one of the best to use. if the water is dirty you will probably catch more spot, croaker, and sea mullet with them using bloodworm or fish bites bloodworm flavor. if it is really clean I would tie your own rigs with flourocarbon and use sandfleas right tight to the beach in or just past the wash for sea mullet or pompano.

like matt said dont forget about a fishing license if you fish the beach, fish early/fish late, on the pier you can see what others do or dont do, but mostly have fun and be safe