8 posts in this topic

My two grandkids will be down in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to going out on the boat with us.

My love of fishing came from my Dad. He took us out on his boat as often as he could and rarely put a line in the water, but made sure he put us over some fish so we had some great times and now, great memories.

I'd like to do the same for my grandkids, but since I'm more familiar with the Outer Banks than the Rehoboth Beach Bay area, I'm asking for some help.

Although we've been coming to Rehoboth for several years, we've only been on the (ever so crowded) headboats. This year we bought a 24 foot pontoon boat and have a small campsite so we can come down on the weekends to fish.

I'd love to take all three of our sons, our daughter-in-law and our granddaughters out to have a great time fishing and continue the family tradition.

Can you give me some ideas on what type of rigs to use on the grandkids rods, ages 6 and 8, and perhaps some areas in the bay where we can take them so they can catch some fish and have a great time.

I'm not worried about catching "keepers", just some fishing activity so they have a blast and will talk about it until next year's vacation.

Appreciate any ideas.

Hey Fun Factor,

If you put in at Massy's landing ramp and head towards the Indian River Bridge you can fish along Burton Island. This will be the island that you come to as soon as you come out of the canal from the boat ramp. Please follow the channel markers because of some sand bars that are not visible. you should be able to see some boats drifting along this island. Ther eare plenty of small flounder,croaker, and sea bass in this slough. Squid, Minnows, and Clams will work the best. Set the kids up with small rods, 10# test and top and bottom croaker or flounder rigs with small hooks will definetly get the kids some action. Good luck and have fun.

I dont know much about the Rehobeth Bay...but I would suggest targeting current breaks, deep drop offs, and look for other fishing vessels who are catching fish. Bring binoculars with you to help "spy" on other boaters. And scout out a few spots before hand on the same tide youll be fishing with your family. Using some simple top and bottom rigs, rigged with squid and or minnow or both will catch flounder...and larger baits for larger fish.

Also, you can purchase some "Kingfish rigs" from the bait store, and tip them with "Fishbite" bloodworms, bought from the bait store as well:blob1:..which are imitation bloodworm baits that stay on the hook well...and are not messy. My .02

hope you show your family the time of their life!

There's plenty of spot and croaker to be caught around 20 or 22. Anchor up just off the channel in 8 - 10' of water. Use small hooks with fishbites bloodworms. The fish are small, but they are fish. My kids enjoy catching them. You can also try drifting the area between IRB and RB in the channel east of the island for flounder too. Save a few of the spot and drift them around bouy 5 at the top of the incoming tide for the chance at some bigger fish.

Anyone been seeing any mullet in the inlet yet?

I've been trying the Gulp! bloodworms. Which have you had better luck with? The Gulp! looked a bit more natural to me.

Yes I agree with Massy's. I caught many fish there. I use a traditional rig with only one hook though and a 2 - 3 oz sinker. The hook size is a 2/0 gamakatsu J hook. The bait I use is squid, minnows, and any fresh cut bait. You can also use a fish finder rig and make some drifts along the edges of the channels. The inlet is always good, but can be very rough and catch you off gaurd so be very careful. Post some pics of your catch. Good luck!

We went out this weekend to the areas that were suggested and will be taking the grandkids there next week. We caught several small croaker and small flounder and I even tested one of the smaller kids rods we got for them. It was a lot of action and I can hardly wait for them to try it.

I've never used blood worms, but will get some to have on hand too. We have minnows, cut bait, squid and GULP on board all the time, so hopefully something should work and they should have a great time.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll let you know how we made out.

Well, all your tips paid off!

We took the grandkids, son and daughter-in-law out fishing and they had a blast!

I wanted to post some pictures, but don't seem to remember to bring them with me to upload.

We started out using GULP and never changed our bait. The flounder were hitting hard that day and I never got a rod in the water. Both the girls were bringing them in so fast I could barely keep up. The 7 year old propped her feet up against the railing and tucked her rod end in her life vest and held on for dear life! Because we were using the top/bottom rigs for flounder, she actually caught a flounder and a croaker at the same time!

No sooner did they put their lines in the water they were screaming they had fish on. I thought they were just feeling bottom and then realized they DID have fish on.

The daughter-in-law, who never caught a fish (but goes deer hunting every year!) caught a 22" keeper flounder!

What a great day of memories and the girls can't wait to go out again.

Thanks to everyone for your tips!