7 posts in this topic

I have read many reports on people kayaking their bait from the shore and then waiting for the big catch. How far do you kayak the bait out from the shore? First I guess, am I misunderstanding that people actually go out via a kayak and drop bait? Lastly, if I just launch my line from the shore, what size weight should I use to ensure I have a possibility of watching the pole move, probably due to wave action. Any information will help, oh and it will be from OC in Sep.

Early or Late Sept???

You are correct, we put big baits in the back of the kayak and take them anywhere from right behind the outer bar to a couple hundred yard out.

You don't need to kayak bait out to catch the big ones though, esp if you fish in the evening through the night. Just put bloody chunks of bait out on a castable shark rig and you will be all set.

As for weight, it all depends on conditions. I normally don't throw anything less than 6oz and usually end up throwing 8oz. In the summertime that is usually overkill but thats the weight my rods like to throw.

PS late sept is prime time red drum season..... forget about those sharks, they just get in the way!

It will be hopefully between the 21-24 of September. I know it is during the week, but I hate crowds and I have two weeks off so I am choosing to go during the week to avoid the crowds. I do know that based on the moon cycle, it should be a new moon resulting in high water high tides with very low low tides. I just don't know if that matters for the fishing either. But would plan on late evening through the night. I do appreciate the help.

So, what do the Drum like to feed on, Bunker, Bloodworms, Mullett?

So, what do the Drum like to feed on, Bunker, Bloodworms, Mullett?

They will pretty much eat anything. Peeler Crab and bloody fish chunks (blues,bunker,mullet and etc) are what most people use to catch them.

Drum and Chark like anything bloody and meaty.

You can toss bait just behind the surf break at night and get the critters.

If you use a 6' piece of PVC you will be able to keep your line most of the way out of the break so it doesn't get caught up in it.

When I kayak out baits, the smaller Penn 309's I set up in the first and second trough.

The big reels go out anywhere form 1/4 to a 1/2 mile. I have two reels that have a mile of line on 'em.

I really don't need to take 'em out so far, but it impresses the ladies, LOL!!!!

My thinking is maybe there is a larger critter coming along the coast at that distance from the shore, maybe I can get it.

At .14 miles you are at 10' of water, .24 is 20', and .29 is 30'.

There is a very gentle slope with minor ridges of sand about 3-6" high all the way out.