12 posts in this topic

I'll be basing the boat at Solomons next week.

I haven't fished that part of the Chessie in years.

If anyone would like to give me a few tips or general areas to toss a line, it would be appreciated.

I can run up as far as Chessie Beach, or on an extended stay, south to the Hampton Roads area. Norfolk is only 3 hrs at best economy cruise.

I can't help with fishing spots but I bet Randy can. Can I assume UR now a boat owner? If so congrats!:icon_thumleft:

I'm picking it up next week, everything is done except some minor maintenance.

Steve, got some input...

fish off Calvert Cliffs spring tru fall and the Nuke plants "warm water" discharge, durring the winter months, the old Cove Pt LNG dock holds alot of fish, drift or troll the edges off Pt Lookout, Mud Leads and the "Target Ships" down south can produce some great summer/fall action, just make sure you check the Coast Guards "Notice To Mariners" first, you dont want some fighter-joc from Pax River lockin' you up:icon_rambo:

Looks like Randy has got you all hooked up Steve!!!

:hello:Hi yall...I'm new to the site and i really dig it, been glued to the screen seeing u guys catch these big ol' sharks on assateague. Went over a couple weeks ago to get my osv sticker and did a little sharkin, no takers. too rough for the yak, some guys in the bullpen got a laugh. lets just say "Epic Fail" and my casting gear was limited in ability.I think i have a better plan for next time. (better yak):glasses13:

Anyway I run a charter boat outta Chesapeake Beach and think I can help steve. Buisiness has been shockingly steady this past week. only missed a couple days. We've been livelining regularly for rock n blues. ive been catching my spot right in front of the beach but i gave it a good lookin over today with little success..more consistant in the choptank. holland point we had some good perch fishin with plenty of spot and a few croaker over the weekend.

left out today for a half day 6-12 with 8 head on board. spot fished with bloodworms in the choptank near bouy 10 for 1 1/2 hours and filled the livewell with about 80 spot. They were a little on the large side for bait so we caught a few extra just for insurance. ran back out towards the edge of the stonerock (west of sharps is. light) and worked south lookin for signs of life. ran in to a small-ish size school of VERY hungry bluefish with nice rock mixed in. set the anchor but had wind against the tide so the boat wasn't laying right. Fish on the FF came and went and caught a few small bluefish while we waited it out.then the wind eventually fell out and the boat swung right around. looked at the FF and the screen was covered top to bottom. GAME ON! had 2-3 fish on at a time till we hit our 17 fish limit of rock and had 12 blues by then...as not to kill any more rock we switched to trolling in hopes of capturing a few more bluefish and possibly some early arriving mackeral. a couple boats had a few yesterday as well as a healthy catch of flounder (havent got the details yet, waiting for the scoop:happy1:)

threw a few more blues in the box and started aiming towards home.

buddys in solomons (and a few from up here) have been catching their rock down by the LNG Docks, but the solomons boats ended up where i was. guess there wasnt much to be had there today. Thats how it goes, they're there one day and gone the next. They move alot especially when they get breakin. no tellin where they'll settle in. Eastern bay and poplar island has been holding consistent fish but thats a haul from solomons. Breakin fish have been poppin up just about everyday you could skip the bait fishin and just troll in them. ive been sticking to indestructable stuff like spoons and hoses.bucktails with caution and pork rinds instead of rubber shads.

Thanks for sharing!! and most of all welcome to the site

Imspazzin,

Did you ever fish the Potomac River by the RT 301 Bridge? It is about 45 miles from the mouth that connects to the Chesapeake Bay. I am in need of some info. I have been trying to catch Rock in here for awhile now I have ony caught two shorties. Can you give me somes tips so that I can finally get my keeper?

Thanks

Imspazzin,

Did you ever fish the Potomac River by the RT 301 Bridge? It is about 45 miles from the mouth that connects to the Chesapeake Bay. I am in need of some info. I have been trying to catch Rock in here for awhile now I have ony caught two shorties. Can you give me somes tips so that I can finally get my keeper?

Thanks

Are you on a boat or on shore? And how did you catch those 2 throwbacks?

I never get to fish that part of the potomac very often but there has got to be some hiding out somewhere. My uncle is a commercial crabber on the potomac and he anchors on ledges and edges for BIG rockfish in spring using cut herring. This time of year he just crabs. If your on a boat try trolling or jigging when you see them on the fish finder. Those 6" storm swim shads wouldn't be a bad bet (bunker color is best). often times different schools will have very different grades of fish, sometimes just a 1/2 mile makes all the difference in the world.

P.S. Went on a 5-11pm trip with 8 ppl last nite. They wanted to bottom fish only so i took them down on the summer gooses (78A Bouy) started off using bloodworm while it was still light out and caught 75-85 spot with a few small croaker in the mix. Sun started to set and swapped over to shrimp and squid...slow coming at first so i started trowing the shrimp shells and squid guts over the side. pretty soon we had nice big croaker one after another, havent seen them bite like this since 2001. no 20 inchers but alot or 16s & 17s...ended up with just under 90 croaker. even had a few decent bluefish that bit the squid, got 5 in the boat, the rest just bit those small hooks off.

On topic please, looking for lower Chessie info.

I have been live lining for rockfish north of there,it sounds like you dont mind a run up the bay,been catching spot in the mouth of the choptank river off Black walnut point in 20 -30 ft. .Cross the bay to the lumps outside of Parkers creek,east of bouy #78."The winter gooses" on a fishing chart. Keep an eye on your depth finder till you see some structure,and try to anchor up on it.Take a marker bouy with you,to mark the spot ,take the wind and tide into consideration.Gallon bleach bottle is what i use with 35' of line. Caught the spot with fishbites bag -o worms as bloodworms are getting to a dollar each.Bait runner reels are ideal tackle to use/ 1oz.egg sinker/4' to 6' leader /live bait circle hooks.Baitfish have been running larger than the mouth of the slot sized fish ,so dont be afraid to use some cut baits,cut longways,or artificials that are more bite size.GOOD LUCK,DENNIS

Thanks Dennis, I know the Parker Creek area well.

Used to hit that a lot leaving from Breezy Point, also Stone Point ledge for Croaker.

I have three floats set up and ready, compliments of <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> floatsum.

I'll use the position-hold feature to keep from getting out of the zone.

I know the LNG docks usually produce all year. Can you still get to the warm water discharge from Calvert Cliffs, or have they roped that off too?

Haven't worked the Chop, sure will this year.

Thanks for the info!