15 posts in this topic

HIt the beach Friday afternoon around 3pm to a dead low tide and when I walked up on the beach Noncaster was already there.

We set up in our usual spot and started to nail some nice medium size spot on bloodworms. After putting a half dozen or so in the cooler for bait, we began to toss some chunks and heads out.

Not long after I tossed a spot head out, my CTS had a nice run and I was hooked up. To my surprise, it was a lot of head shaking, so I knew it wasn't a biter. When I got the fish close, I noticed it was a nice fat red! Landed her and she went right on 26" with some broad, broad shoulders on her.

After landing her, I landed another red in the slot, then Noncaster landed two in the slot as well. Seems sometimes you can't catch one in the slot, but today every red we got was in the slot! Spot bite was still on in very close to the breakers, so we still were catching bait.

As the tide came in, the reds turned off, and then it was biter city for a little while. Noncaster had a nice sandbar all the way to the breakers, before she cut him off, then he landed a few more biters (sharpnose, blacktip and sandbar) with the biggest around 4ft or so. I also got in the game with a few blacktips of my own.

A few roundhead, a small flounder and a small ray were also tossed in for good measure!

Saturday morning I headed down to Back Bay with the leftover bait and a few eels. Bucket showed up and we soaked some bait for a bit, but the grass was not liking us and it was hard to keep your bait clean.

Before Bucket arrived, I landed a 3ft sharpnose, and had a small run of blues go through, picking me apart.

A nice pod of bait came by us and I had a nice run and was bowed up on a decent fish, but she came unbuttoned after I got it tight for a few seconds (Dang circle hooks).

Put another spot head back out and a few minutes later, I got a hot run! This fish had something to it and when I picked up my rod, it kept going. I got some tension on it and pulled back a bit, then the fish said I don't think so and kicked it in overdrive! The fish put it in 5th gear for about 3 seconds still peeling line, then broke me off. I imagine, it was a nice biter, but who knows, all I know is it was a healthy fish whatever it was.

A few minutes later my other rod just gets bent over, then pops back up. Go check it and I got bitten off just like that. From then on the grass set in thick and we could not keep the baits clean.

Nice weekend of fishing and today I would go out, but I am on the way to DC for the week for work! Whoo Hoo! NOT!

Will try to get some pics up later today!

Nice report there Dix! I'm hoping to head out to Back Bay later this afternoon.

what part of the beach were you fishing from?

Purty wek Steve.. Looks like the water lilly's are still in bloom.. Will probably be out that side of the coast this weekend.

It seems that the reds have shown up in numbers a bit earlier this year than usual. Friend and i caught several last night near the CBBT, but none in the slot. All were 36+.