11 posts in this topic

I have been getting together some of my shark fishing gear for my oc vacation in early august and wanted to know if my rig will be good enough....

First, I am going to have a 16/0-20/0 circle hook, attached to at least 20" of heavy wire leader( its a 1/16" diameter leader), attached to at least 8' of .90 diameter string trimmer line(trying to save some money), then attached to at least 300 yrds of braided 50lb test. And I will have an 8 oz pyramid weight on a sinker slide on the string trimmer line. My bait is going to be bunker or bunker heads or anything big enough I catch out of the surf.

Please comment/criticize anything on my rig. Dont worry about being to harsh. I hope im not asking too many questions, but im new to this and the sooner I learn it, the sooner I will start answering other peoples questions.....THANKS!

you can shorten your wire leader to around 5" or so. The weedeater line sounds good, I would put the sinker slide onto the weedeater line and not your running line.

As for the braid, I wouldn't use it, but that's a personal preference. I just don't trust it in the surf because it doesn't have a abrasion resistance of mono. I do use braid on my reels as backing to get some added capacity. Lots of people here do use all braid without problems, I think most bump it up to 65 or even 80 or 100lb though.

8oz of weight may work for you, but if you plan to kayak out bait your probably going to need more than 8oz. I like to make big concrete weights and attach it to my slide with light mono line or a rubber band so that it breaks when you get a big shark on. I usually shoot for at least 2lb of weight.

Yea, I meant to say that im putting the weight on the weedeater line and I figured I should probably put more weight on the line. And I like the idea with the rubber band, ill try that. And im probably just gonna use all braid still just to save some money, ill just use it as backing when i get more involved in it.Thanks for the info though, itll definately help!

Yea, I meant to say that im putting the weight on the weedeater line and I figured I should probably put more weight on the line. And I like the idea with the rubber band, ill try that. And im probably just gonna use all braid still just to save some money, ill just use it as backing when i get more involved in it.Thanks for the info though, itll definately help!

are you kayaking or casting???? If you are casting don't do the light mono or rubberband trick with the weight, It will snap off during the cast.

I concur with your setup. I use all braid on one rig, 100 lb. Others are 50 lb mono on Penn 115 (4000' of line).

I kayak out my big reels, and use heavy weights. On the smaller stuff (Penn 309), I still use 50 lb mono but I can cast it on a trolling rod about 30'. At night, that is plenty far enough.

Well its a relief that my rig is pretty good, and i will be yaking the bait out. I just need to get a larger weight to use so its stays held to the bottom...

I have not had success with rounded or oval shaped concrete weights with spikes. They roll anyway. I'm going to try flat weights, like mortar in a flat salad tray thingey.

Jim, what shape are you using, and what weight, 2 lbs for all conditions?

Yea, I think that a flat object with sharp edges is better than a spikey ball.

rig sounds good, you can string on trolling sinkers to hold bottom. most I ever needed on yakked bait was 4 20ozers...sure reel in easy though.

i would use the biggest frog lipped sinker you could find thats what i use at least and i found that live eels are a really good bait to use for shark especially at night but bunker works great too try chumming a little too or at least an oil slick

my concrete weights are made in an upside down soda bottle with a couple things of 10 gauge wire in a grappling hook fashion. Don't use them unless they are going to break off because it will be a bear to get your line back in.