6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, whats up?? Im new to the whole saltwater fishing scene, so ill defiantly need some help along the way. This past weekend, I went fishing off of the pier at surfside with some buds. Now ive been on a pier and seen folks pulling in fish before, and none of them were worth buying one of those expensive rigs to do so. So I took my ol ugly stick crappie rod. It did fine pulling in some small blues, and other things witch I have no clue of what they were. Until my brother in-law hooked a 6-7 foot shark, WOW that baby took off like nobodies business. Of course the line broke, and later someone told us that it was highly illegal to catch sharks on a pier there. But from what I hear that you can go to the next county and catch sharks at night off of the surf. I will be heading back to garden city Friday with hopes of landing a nice little shark. Another person told me that you can’t keep them, I need to find out. Also the week after next I will be heading to the isle of palms, I plan to do some surf fishing there as well. Any advice would be much appreciated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

A little background about my self, I live on a small pond that is a few miles long in the upstate of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">South Carolina</st1:place></st1:State>. I love to fish when ever I get the chance. So I hope yall don’t mind a member that is not always fishing in the ocean on your forum. I can always give a have decent update on the local rivers, ponds and lakes. <o:p></o:p>

Horry county prohibits *targetting* sharks in all waters.

This is an archaic law that is inspired by the Jaws movies. They don't want the tourons to see people pulling in sharks on their beaches in fear it will hurt tourism.

Here is the ordinance. Implemented in 1985 and updated after opposition in 2007

Sec. 5-7. Fishing from shore or pier. It shall be unlawful for any person involved in attempting to catch or take, or catch or take any shark or other marine animals that may endanger the public from any fishing pier, or any beach within the unincorporated limits of shore or any coastal waters where one may fish within this county. Any person(s) who baits, fish for, or otherwise attract sharks or other marine animals that may in danger the public within one (1) mile of the beach or any coastal waters are in violation of this ordinance. All fishermen shall release at time of recognition any and all fish or other similar type animals that may pose any danger to any beach goers, sunbathers, swimmers or any other person where the fish or animal is caught. This prohibition is in effect from March 1st to November 30th each year.

(1) Any person(s) who surf fishes or fishing of any type from a pier or beach, at any time of the year, shall not fish in a manner that presents an unsafe condition to any beach goers, sun bathers, swimmers, or any other person and shall keep a safe distance from the for said.

(2) County jurisdiction extends to one (1) mile in the Atlantic Ocean and includes all beaches and Piers. (S.C. Code 1976, § 5-7-140 and § 5-7-150)

(Ord. No. 104-07, § 1, 6-19-07)

Hey thanks for the info guys! I appreciate the warm welcome too. I will defiantly let every one know how it turns out, maybe even snag a picture or two.<o:p></o:p>

Hello guys, well this past weekend fishing didn’t yield much. But I still had fun and that was the most important part. We fished around the jetties at Murrells inlet. We only picked up a few croaker, and sheepshead. I used shrimp to fish with, others used bait fish they caught in the net, but they didn’t catch anything.

The main thing is you got out there and enjoyed.

To me, that's the main attraction, of course catching is nice too, but it's not called that!

:D

Everything matters to the fish, it may not have been the right tide, temp, wind, who knows.

When everything lines up, that's when ya get into 'em!

They will be there next time waiting for you....