9 posts in this topic

I need to purchase some wire and mono leader in the next couple weeks, but I will not be using much. I was wondering if you can buy a specific length of leader from a tackle shop in OC (ex. buying only 10' instead of an entire spool). I often go to Oyster Bay Bait and Tackle by the green turtle. Thanks!

Sounds like you are going for sharks. The heavier mono and wire leader come in smaller packs. So you don't have to buy a couple hundred yards at a time.

Yea, im kayaking the bait out on the surf. I figured I could just save some money if I just bought specific lengths, but if I cant then I will definately look for the smaller packs of heavier leader, and save the extra for next year.

I just posted this in another thread...If you go to home depot you can get a 250' spool of nylon coated wire rope for about $50. I think it comes out to be 480lb test. Its the cheapest way to make shark bite leaders I've found.

You can also buy a sleeve of Malin #12 hard wire for about $10.

I use weedeater line for my thick mono rub leaders.

I use weedeater line for my thick mono rub leaders.

How heavy/thick is the diameter of your weedeater line? I have some that is .095" thick that im planning on using as the rub leader. I also have some thinner stuff(.065" thick) that i can crimp with the same crimps as my wire leader, but i dont know if it would be strong enough as a mono leader so i got the thicker stuff. Could i use the thinner line?

Try 'em both. The lighter stuff will prolly work on most everything.

Pre rigged steel leaders are available at all O.C. tackle shops.