6 posts in this topic

hit the beach this afternoon with my wifey and little brother in toe. met my room mate down there and things were slow. wind was blowing enough to churn the water up, and a few big sets of 4 to 5 footers made it hard to keep your line tight. had a few bites here and there when Lisa says "hey this rod is clicking", run over pick up the heaver and set the hook into somthing big and heavy. knew at first it wasn't a fish, it pulled a little but it was mostly dead weight, i was thinking it was a big cow nose ray since we caught a few last time, fight him for a bit and get him into the wash and realise its a giant sea turtle!

at this point i get everyone involved, my brother grabs the digital camera and i pass lisa the rod, run into the wash and grab him and run him back up on the beach. my hook caught the edge of his shell so he was un harmed, after a few pictures by my brother and others who ran over to see what i had, i ran him back down into the water about waste deep and set him free. followed him out for a minute to make sure he was good to go, 30 seconds later he surfaces 40 yards out for air, hes was ok.

other than that we caught a few small blue fish. the turtle is by far the coolest thing ive caught so far off the beach!

back_bay_July_19_004.jpg.ada2c41676a3184

back_bay_July_19_009.jpg.577b5eff4c86500

back_bay_July_19_010.jpg.2494a9221982fc4

Looks like a very young Loggerhead. They get to be between 3-4' across. July is nesting season for them in FL, thousands on the beach at night. Glad you got it back out safely and unharmed, they are cool critters...

That is awesome!!! It is good that you did not hook him in the mouth. We caught a huge snapper in the lake behind our house last week and we just cut the line as close as we could to his mouth. The hook will just have to rust out. Great job on making sure he was healthy. Keep the pics coming. I love to not only read about others catch but better to see it too.

Definitely an interesting catch! Looks decent size but I know they get a LOT bigger than that.

A-K,

Whew...glad ya got him in the shell!

Cool shots!

You working Friday??

thanks guys for the comments. definently one of the coolest things ive caught off the beach.

Steve,

yeah im here at work. i hit the nob pier yesterday for about 20 minutes caught two tiny flounder. im headed up to OC tomorrow for a week of relaxing vacation. going to hit the beach up there and surf fish as well as do some flounder fishing, im hoping to get up with Sam and sharking with him and his crew. I got the ok from Lewis to tag flounder up there so Im excited about that.