4 posts in this topic

Last summer, I watched this group of people use a kayak to bring out their bait (some type of mackerel) using a kayak. I continued to watch them for about 20 minutes before one of the men strapped the rod to himself as he fought a large shark. He eventually pulled in the 6' shark, snapped some photos, then released it. I was amazed and watched them every night for the rest of the week. This year, my brother and I would like to try it. We have a lot of fishing experience, rods, and a kayak, but are unsure of what to expect. Any suggestions? Anything would help(reel type, line length, leader, hook size, etc.). Thanks!

I run a 30-50# rod with an equivalent reel. I load that 30# main line. I attach 400# mono to the end of that (all my swivels are crimped on and good swivels...don't buy the cheap gold ones they fail) On the 15' 400# mono attach a slide (normal fish finder rig slide). On the slide I make my own weights, about 6-10" of copper tube filled with lead and use coathangers as prongs. At the end of that I use about 6-8' of nylon coated wire rope (I think its 1/32" or 1/16" I can't remember which but home depot sells a roll for about $50). On the end of that I use a 20/0 Circle hook. And that is it. yak the baits out a couple hundred yards, throw the rod in a sand spike (make sure your drag is set loose enough) and have a few cold beers while you wait for the drag to start singing....

Welcome to the board!

I know you will find all the info you need, right here!

In addition to the good info FA posted, you can also use trolling gear, such as rod & reel.

I use 6' heavy poles with a Penn 309 level-wind, 50 lb Ande mono main line, 6' 250 lb shock, 4' #9 or #12 Malin hard wire to a 20/0 Circle hook. I generally use a whole Bunker for bait, butterfly one of the sides so it disperses more blood (scent).

Or, you can go bigger...

Six foot Shakespeare with rollers and 100 lb braid on a Penn 115.

Just start out smaller, most everything can be landed on 50 lb line.

This setup is for taking bait out on a yak only, no casting.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Im somewhat on a budget so I will have to try the heavier gear next year, but I really hope to get a nice shark, or anything really. Thanks again!