4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I been reading this forum for sometime and find some very useful tips about fishing. I am a noob, so please excuse my ignorant questions. My friends and I are going to camping in Assateague on July 31 to the Aug 2nd. Will there be any tautog in the bulkhead? I also notice a little fishing area below the bridge crossing Assateague, is that a good place for fishing at night? and what I would expect to catch with what bait from there? I appreciate all the help from you experienced fisherman.

Thanks!

I have been fishing those waters for a few years now with my boat The Pepirmint Patty. The tautog should be there still. If you are talking about the rock jetties in the <ACRONYM title="Ocean City"><ACRONYM title="Ocean City">OC</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> inlet. As we all know green crabs are good bait for them. I found a heavier action rod works better because you get a quicker hook set. I use a 2 oz sinker and a 2/0 Gamakatsu J hook. Only use enough crab to cover hook. If it is too large they will just suck it off. Another GREAT bait is the Japenese Box crabs. These I do not think you can buy. Go on the rocks at night with a flash light. You will see these real tiny crabs. Use these whole and you will do well. I found this was the bait that won the tog categorie in several tournaments I was in.

As far as the bridge... I get slamed with skate a lot there. Although the last time I was there there were monster Blues. If you are going after them use a BLACK steel leader. The bait: fresh bunker works good, but can't go wrong with squid too. Let it float with no weight. I found that works good. Try to mix it up though if one style is not working for you. I did not have any luck with the flounder ot striper there, but I heard other did real well. I heard reports last year of 30+ in striper taken at night using storm lures.

Any other questions feel free to ask. I ask many questions I find it the best way to learn. Try to experiment though. Maybe you will find out something new that you can tell us to try out. Let me know how you do. Good Luck!

Thanks alot for the information. I have fished in both places once each last year. It was for the different time of the year as well, so I wonder if that make a difference. Fish_on is dead on on the Rays on the bridge, but since my friends and I just wanted some fun and fight with the fishes, rays are pretty fun to play with.

One other very nooby question is that, the last time I was fishing for tog. I used sand flea and green crabs, I am not sure if I was not hooking it right or what, the tog was able to suck all the meat out and leaving the shell. What is the correct way to hook them and what kind of hook to prevent this from happening?

I will cut the green crab in fourths. I will stick the hook through the hardest part of the crab, such as the legs. Use 2/0 Gamakatsu hooks. They are incredibly sharp and will penatrate the shell easily. Make sure they are J hooks and not circle. An off set J hook I find works the best. They are like $3.50 at walmart. Tog are known to steal bait. The slightest bump you have to set the hook and reel as fast as you can to get them out of the rocks. Do not give them any drag. Tog fishing can be frustrating but when you hook one they fight like hell.