60 posts in this topic

Summertime sharks have arrived. Heard a mess of spinners were in the surf for a couple days, along with the usual other toothy critters and the catches are getting larger. Plenty of spot to keep you busy. Snapper blues, flounder and kingfish are also being caught with some croakers in the mix.

Post your reports here...fish or no fish.

Top of the OSV yesterday, one small Gray Girl to show for it.

Wind and water was calm until about noon.

Strong SE wind and current wore me out yaking baits out, only did it three times. Ten oz on one and a brick on another didn't hold, washed up on the beach. Guy about 400 yards down landed my Chark for me, LOL!!

Managed to get the electronics out and check out the contours and depths.

The bottom was a very gentle slope with very slight ripples about three inches high. Within 30 yards of the beach, it drops to five feet and holds. The sandbar was about one foot higher than the surrounding bottom. The water went back to 5-6 foot pretty quickly and barely sloped, not reaching ten feet until about .14 miles out. Back to gentle sloping, 20 feet was found at .20 miles (one-fifth), 30 was at .30 (third of a mile) out.

So except for any troughs carved out that you may find, the average depth you are pitching in is five feet.

If I had someone on shore with a radio, I could have found out where the water color change was, I couldn't see it from the yak.

Got pretty dicey too, lots of whitecaps in the afternoon.

Great information Steve!!!

were your recordings at low or high tide?

It was at high tide, but a pretty low amount of water, less than three feet change.

*edit: I was top heavy with all the junk on board, tough to stay upright further out.

I did manage to get trashed on the surf break coming in, my stuff scattered but I found it all.

All of the fish I pinged were small, they were always in groups too.

Thanks Steve. That is great info...a little different than what I thought.

I went Sharkin Mon Tues Wed afternoon/night

Spinners crashed the beach Mon at dusk, what a blast, saw them freejumping all afternoon, an amazing sight.. Don't let one of those guys land in your yak haha...

Tues was dead for me...nothin...water seemed cold.??..

Last nite back to normal....Sandtiger and a nice Dusky/Sandbar

also had an unstoppable on my KF rig wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpow

Croakers, Kingfish, Spot, flounder in the surf but not in real big numbers,.. for me anyway.Have been able to catch enough for bait but no fishfry...

Great sharkin right now fellas:happy8:

Goin sharkin this weekend for the first real effort. My question is, how do you beach these things? I have read on many rigs and techniques but not on how to land a big one. Do you have your buddy grab the tail or perhaps lasso the tail? I know enough to not go grabbin around the buisiness end and a gaff is certainly out since most are not able to be kept. So thanks for some insight just incase that 7 footer bites.

Goin sharkin this weekend for the first real effort. My question is, how do you beach these things? I have read on many rigs and techniques but not on how to land a big one. Do you have your buddy grab the tail or perhaps lasso the tail? I know enough to not go grabbin around the buisiness end and a gaff is certainly out since most are not able to be kept. So thanks for some insight just incase that 7 footer bites.

You are going to have to let the Ocean do most of the work getting that 7'er onto the sand. Keep pressure on the shark when a wave is pushing it in....eventually it will ride in on a big wave and be beached when the wave goes out.Grab it by the tail and pull it up a little bit, away from the surf.Check out the pic of Critter Gitter.Once you get the hook out,(gotta have pliars with you). pull the Shark back into the surf by the tail with your arms extended, swing it around and give it shove...this is how I do it, not the only way I am sure.

A 7' Sandtiger is a very good possibility this weekend! Good luck!

5852a577a506e_one147.jpg.2d871f6b40b435a

Spinners crashed the beach Mon at dusk, what a blast, saw them freejumping all afternoon, an amazing sight..

sounds familiar.

just landed an 8 footer on monday check the posts for july 1-15 should be on last page, as for last night nada, water was cooler due to the outside air temp being warmer for a change.

Thanks Eric, on my way in an hour.

Fished 11th street this past week caught a nice blue in the surf on a plug in the early Am .....and that was it :-(

Hit AI for a few hours today nothing to report, but it was good to hook up with Jim and Amanda for the after noon even with the light rain...

Hit <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> for a few hours today nothing to report, but it was good to hook up with Jim and Amanda for the after noon even with the light rain...

It was nice to see you out here Dave!

Fished in a pretty nice hole all day and only ended up with 1 spot. Had some bait kayaked way out and only fed crabs.

hopefully the this evening will bring us some sharks to the shore. Its a gorgeous night to be out here.

well another good eve on the beach, hoked up with mjones, jim and amanda, thanks for the bait jim, fished my spot again, didn't get out there until after 9pm, around 11pm had a good hard take down and line went peeling, got to the rod then snap, so i re rigged then as soon as i sat down jim and amanda stopped by to see how I was doing and wham, FISH ON ! after about 45 minutes and a quarter to half mile walk, managed to land a 90 inch plus or minus 5 inch sand tiger, now compared to the one i caught Wednesday which was about the same length, this one had much more girth to it, in fact it weighed (estimate) 200 to 250 pounds. I weigh 240 and i put all my leg into pulling this one back into the water. great eve, try again tomorrow, I just hope no one gives up my spot. lol.

DSC03487_800x533.JPG.f12bdd92817ff8d2294

DSC03488_800x533.JPG.93ed49e03a5538405e4

very nice ...im headed to AI in ten days to try my hand at sharks in the surf. Checking out your posts has got me all excited!!!

well another good eve on the beach, hoked up with mjones, jim and amanda, thanks for the bait jim, fished my spot again, didn't get out there until after 9pm, around 11pm had a good hard take down and line went peeling, got to the rod then snap, so i re rigged then as soon as i sat down jim and amanda stopped by to see how I was doing and wham, FISH ON ! after about 45 minutes and a quarter to half mile walk, managed to land a 90 inch plus or minus 5 inch sand tiger, now compared to the one i caught Wednesday which was about the same length, this one had much more girth to it, in fact it weighed (estimate) 200 to 250 pounds. I weigh 240 and i put all my leg into pulling this one back into the water. great eve, try again tomorrow, I just hope no one gives up my spot. lol.

It was defiantly closer to 1/2 mile down the beach that the shark dragged us... that walk back after the adrenaline wore off was too much for me. hope to see you back out tonight so hopefully we can get into them again tonight. I will be trying to catch some fresh bait all day again! hopefully it goes better than yesterday.

Spent a solid 24 hours on the beach with Jim , Amanda, a couple of Dave's, Al & Mitcha, Steve,Pig, and a bunch of skeeters. Overnight Friday night into Saturday night. It was nice seeing/meeting all of you folks on such a nice night(s). Jim and Amanda -Thanks Again for the "southern" hospitality.

Managed the most solid run/hook up I have ever had, but unfortunately I got a bit nervous and cranked down the drag and the line either broke or my double Uni came undone. It was by far the best fight I have ever had -whether I landed the fish or not. It was sweet for the few pulls I had with whatever the critter was on the other end.( Since sand tigers were the catch of the evening I can only speculate that's what it was.) It did not take off right away - I actually triggered the first pull when I started cranking in. And man did it pull and shake.I guess it could have been a ray, but 4 x4 Dave said his nice one( man that was an awesome critter) acted the same way. For the rest of the period on the beach, well, let's just say I was thinking of entertaining my self by target casting at some near by surfers, just for fun. Then I snapped out of it...

Grossy

Bill, sounds like all Charks.

You got into a good area, have fun with it next time too!

good fishing with all of you, figured id give up my spot to some fellow atlantic anglers members, especially being i usually only fish during the week anyway and you all fish on the weekend, well, yesterday i had two hard take downs, the first one snapped off immediately as i picked up the rod, the second had peeled almost all my line out and started to head north, I followed being i could not gain line for the life of me, this lasted or about 15 to 30 minutes then the line could not take anymore and snapped.the monster on the other end was either a large ray or a sand tiger over 10 feet, I could not gain on him at all, but he wasnt stationary, always moving. nothing else for the rest of the evening, by the way you weekend guys can have the beach, way to crowded for my liking. great fishing with you all, hope to do it again soon.

You are on a roll Dave......:icon_thumright: Nice work!

thanks, i was in one of my longest slumps before this summer, so bad to the point that fishing was just one of my normal routines, didnt really look forward to it. I had over 250 hours logged before all this recent pullage. Hope my luck continues for a little longer.

We all have em Dave, it's fighting through them that ain't fun!:confused:

So is anyone other than Dave catchin sharks? I havnt heard much out of Steve or Coop and i'm starting to get a lil nervous that my AI trip next week is going to be a bomb...for the sharks anyways. Maybe im reading the wrong forums.

Im only casting baits next week. Gonna have to watch the pros yak out some baits before i grow a set big enough to do it myself :happy3:

I will be arriving on AI monday july 27th around 8:30. Going to set up camp and rig my poles for the evening. If anyone see's a 6'5" 235lb guy lookin like an amature trying to toss baits, feel free to swing by and give me some pointers. I need all the help i can get.