8 posts in this topic

Last night my friend Danny and I hooked up on something huge with a small ugly stick. Boy did we test its flexibility. It is some kind of ray. I was hoping someone could tell me what kind. I caught it in the lower potomac river. It does not look like a skate because it has a long narrow tail. It weighed in at 70 lbs and took approx 45 minutes to get it in. We were using light tackle so we had to take our time.

Ray.JPG.18daf6a2bce76f39f8b948585480fd7e

Ray1.JPG.227fd8b467effcf6f1167e2e7da1a99

Ray2.JPG.6fb27b552d313af902038e23426d23f

Cow Nose Ray

Good Job on light tackle! That takes some skill to get in without breaking the line.

Thats a small one. A school of those can destroy an oyster bed in a few hours.Boat US mag this month has an incredible picture of a school on the surface

I contacted PRFC to ask them what kind of ray it was and they said it was in fact a

Cownose Ray, and they also said they grow upto 36 in across. Being that the one I caught was 32 inches across it was a rather large cownose, but a small ray when compared to other species. Either small or big it put up one hell of a fight on light tackle.

Ok guys... It may not have been 70lbs. It sure had a hell of a fight to make you think it was. I spoke to a Capt and he said it is in the 30lb class. So I wanted to correct that mistake on my part.

It definitely put up a tough fight. This guy was smart and tried to dive under the pier and wrap around some pylons. We had to hand the rod back and forth by reaching underneath so it wouldn't snap the line!

had fun like that once with a 2 1/2 foot ugly stick just messing around and snagged a 25-30 lb cownose ray so fun