15 posts in this topic

In the past year i have witnessed some very rude and some dangerous moves made by my fellow anglers. Growing up on the Eastern Shore i had a boat at a young age. The very first thing that i was taught by my father was safety and ethics on the water. Most of these ideals that he taught were mainly common sense and courtesy toward other boaters. This past year was my first year fishing the mouth of the bay for strippers. I had a very good first season, but saw things that really bothered me.

This past Saturday was just as disappointing as last winter. I had three boats drift so close to my boat that I had to push them away from me with my hands. All while the captain stared in disbelief that I was upset with him. I had my line cut, while anchored, by a boat that passed wide open by my stern within 40ft, and not to mention the wake that he threw over me. One thing that I really don't understand is how people can take the entire bay and feel the need to run at high speeds in between 20 anchored boats on their trip north or south.

One of my friends I had on my boat with me is in the USCG. He told me that there is a law in place that will require boaters to have a drivers license within the next few years. I think that this is a great idea. The things I mentioned above aren't just gripes, but concerns of the safety of myself and other anglers.

Some things that people can do to better the experience for everyone on the water would be to go around a group of boats that are anchored up instead of through them on your way to your destination.

Be conscious of the fishing lines of others, (your hook isn't the only one on bottom).

Be aware of your wake and where it is going to head once you've left the area. If it can be proven that it was your wake that caused damage, you are responsible for it.

Don't drift or anchor to close to another boat.

Be particularly careful when passing or motoring around a boat that contains children. I saw 2 almost get thrown off the other day when a 25ft Parker passed at 1/2 throttle no more than 50ft from their boat.

I could go on all day. The bottom line is that most of the anglers out there do know these things and are respectful of others on the water, but its that ever growing percentage that can make a great day on the water aggravating or even dangerous. I'm sure that many will read this and agree. Maybe even have had similar things happen to you. To others, this may piss you off. If so, you are the problem. Keep your boat on the trailer and next to the SUV / station wagon thing.

I (as others) agree with you 104%.

I was on the bay with a neighbor, no other boats in sight on a clear day. An idiot passed so close that he yanked a rod out of the boat, we were trolling.

I don't think it's boating ethics. There is no seperation between boating, work, and personal ethics. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

Look at all the clowns on the road, they just don't care about anyone else. After all, it's their world right? You just happen to be inconveniencing them by being there.

The same attitude applies to the water as it does to the road, the grocery store line, etc.

The only thing we can do is make our very best attempt to keep the persons and property under our charge safe.

I know it's tough, but we have to exercise patience, and logically, kindly, advise the offenders that their bahavior is unsafe or rude.

Thank you for your post, it is appreciated.

Hang in there, idiots have a way of taking themselves out of the picture, and hopefully, just themselves.....

Great advice. Thanks for taking the time to write an excellent and informative post.

I agree with all of the above ! These guys have to see my anchor line going off my bow. I once red an article in salt water sportsman that said 85% of boat owners have no idea what basic boating is all about mainly courtesy to others !

A capt going out in the fog about a month made a comment on the radio that is fitting for this post.

"They have a GPS and can get from point a to point b, but they have no idea what is in between."

He had to stop as he and his partner spotted a target on the radar coming straight at him wide open in the fog. He said it passed within 25 ft of him.

Thanks for the support on this guys. Its nice to know after my experience the other day that im not alone.

Steve i have to admit i agree with you when comparing boat operations to peoples attitudes while driving a car. It crossed my mind yesterday as i made my grueling drive through the downtown tunnel in Norfolk.

and you wonder why my boats set in the driveway every weekend.......

just this reason .........

I will continue to fish Tue Wed Thur the rest of my life.......well ok alot of Mondays too and a few Fridays......ask Dixie, he has to beg for me launch on a weekend, I mean beg big time~ I always find a reason N_O_T to go on Sat or Sun

I agree 100 percent. It seems that the technolgies of our time has reduced the amount of thinking a boat driver might have to do, and unfortunatley it makes it easier for inexperienced boaters to feel a little too comfortable out on the waterways. In all honesty, I believe a GPS needs to be just a resource not a guide, nothing can beat human deduction when it comes to safety on any facet.

A female container ship captain enroute from Baltimore to the ocean through the bay encountered 7 sailing vessels in her way this (Wed.) AM. One UNLIT, she spotted at the last minute when her lights hit the sails.

One of the sailing vessels stated "I didn't know anyone else would be out here at this hour."

The female captain was very professional and maintained her demeanor the entire time. It was obviously a very stressful several hours trying not to kill idiots in her path. My hat goes off to her.

Many times I hear the ships hailing to these vessels on the radio, and they never answer, as they are not monitoring their radios.

Simply amazing...........................

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was anchored on a lump the other day and boats were zooming by me rocking the hell out of my boat. I had my three nephews on at the time. They had the entire bay but they had to get right up on me.

Boaters should be required to take the safety course along with having a drivers license. A sticker like your registration should be issued to put on your boat so that it is visible and the marine police can verify you took the course. I did not even put my boat in the water till took that course. I did not feel safe enough to do so.

I (as others) agree with you 104%.

I was on the bay with a neighbor, no other boats in sight on a clear day. An idiot passed so close that he yanked a rod out of the boat, we were trolling.

I don't think it's boating ethics. There is no seperation between boating, work, and personal ethics. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

Look at all the clowns on the road, they just don't care about anyone else. After all, it's their world right? You just happen to be inconveniencing them by being there.

The same attitude applies to the water as it does to the road, the grocery store line, etc.

The only thing we can do is make our very best attempt to keep the persons and property under our charge safe.

I know it's tough, but we have to exercise patience, and logically, kindly, advise the offenders that their bahavior is unsafe or rude.

Thank you for your post, it is appreciated.

Hang in there, idiots have a way of taking themselves out of the picture, and hopefully, just themselves.....

Have you heard "if you can't drive it, Get it OFF the road", its been around for years. License to drive will not fix the problem. Fines will make more for the fed. gov. than taxes.

Dont get me started on that.the 8 week cg auxilliary course should be a requirement,safety wise. I was anchored on site #11 off indian river and a boat with n.j. Registration kept drifting within casting distance.i bounced a diamond jig off his hull.he got pissed at me,imagine that.

Yeah,you got to keep your eyes open and take care of yourself,it's a percentage thing,a certain percent just dont have it no matter what they are doing.

You hit someones boat with a lure and you think it's ok ? Hope you wear a bullet proof vest from now on, and always look over your shoulder, no matter where you are. You know what they say about pay backs ! John

Dont get me started on that.the 8 week cg auxilliary course should be a requirement,safety wise. I was anchored on site #11 off indian river and a boat with n.j. Registration kept drifting within casting distance.i bounced a diamond jig off his hull.he got pissed at me,imagine that.
There is way to much on the water these days. And way to much testertosterone. The dang water is getting as bad as the roads. Until the COPS understand the MONEY MAKER this could be, Just try not to get into "SAFE MODE", "WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY".