4 posts in this topic

Herding Big Sheepshead

7 July 2009

Skip had never caught a sheepshead, and was itching to try. We snuck out after work to try out a few of my favorite sheepshead spots. We rounded Cape Henry at about 5:30pm, and headed for the CBBT.

There was nobody home at the first spot, so we shifted down the bridge several pilings to our second choice. I had my bait down for maybe a minute when I felt a tap. The wind and current were not completely aligned, so I struggled to hold my rod in place since I knew it was being examined. With sheepshead, the bait placement is of the utmost importance. I guess I did ok, my rod doubled over and I was suddenly in quick reaction mode to keep our first sheep from winding itself into the structure. The first fish weighed 10.5-pounds.

Once the first sheep was safely in the boat, we eased back up to the bridge to try again. This time I noticed sheepshead several feet below the surface. After a few minutes of fishing while watching one sizable sheepshead graze on mussels, Skip asked if I wanted to move. I told him I knew there were more there. Just about then, the wind and tide finally cooperated, and I was able to put my bait in a better position. That did the trick. After that, it was on. We missed 4, and pulled 8 big sheepshead from the same small area in about 30-minutes.

We kept four fish, and released the rest. They ranged from 10.5 to 12.5-pounds. Of course, the guy with the horseshoe caught the biggest one, so he was all smiles…again. We ran in with pleny of daylight left over. We used clam for bait, and 3-ounces of weight. yesgif-1.jpg

Good luck!

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Wish I knew more about this fishery !! Guess I'll have to learn the hard way

Very nice Julie!

I'm going to have to see the Doc about getting a horseshoe implanted.

:eek:

Wish I knew more about this fishery !! Guess I'll have to learn the hard way

Very similar to tog fishing!