4 posts in this topic

Hi I'm rather new to the Bay fishing scene and launch out of the Lower Magothy river, does anyone know of a general area where I can take my son for some busy fishing, I've heard there are some good places to catch the smaller rockfish, blues, etc. but no one has been able to point me into a specific direction, just to trying to get the young one involved in fishing and waiting all day for the bigger ones can be tiresome for the younger kids, thanks in advance for the feedback.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice to have ya with us....

Look for shoals on your paper chart, toss some small hooks tipped with a variety of bait on them. You are bound to find a school of something! :D

the mouth of the magothy should produce some catches of rockfish and blues ,if not it should be very soon .

live line small spot or white perch or throw out a bag of chum and use cut bait . use light to medium rods with8-12 lb line . a 3/4oz egg sinker ,swivel,60-80 lb leader approx 2-3' long ,and about a 2/0 hook . the heavy leader is because of the teeth of the blues.

cath the spot for bait in about 8'-12' of water using small hooks tiped with bloodworms and a 1oz weight .

you want to fish in about 18'-30' of water.

you can also pick up good catches of perch bottom fishing around the shallower pilons of the bridge using bloodworms,grass shrimp , peelers