8 posts in this topic

Yesterday I had my first paddle out the bait experience. I was using my surfboard to paddle bait out, and caught 2 sharks, landed one. Which got me thinking about kayak fishing in the fall and spring. Do you guys run bait out in spring and fall? Or do you paddle out to where the fish are and fish off your kayaks? Every spring and fall I see the fish out beyond the bar while surfing, but I have not got a keeper casting off the beach. You can see where my thinking is going. Anyway. Just wondering. Thanks, Pat

I personally don't kayak in the ocean in the spring, water temps too cold. I've been thrown out too many times to think that I won't be. :D That water is COLD!

In the fall, the water temp is warm to a point in time, but usually no Stripers. Once the water gets cold enough for Stripers, it's too cold for me. If it is real flat, I may give it a go.

Thanks Steve. The water temp isn't a concern for me. I surf year round at Assateague and have a wetsuits for temps between 70 down to 36. I'm thinking of getting out on a kayak this fall/next spring beyond the bar to meet up with stripers. I wonder if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks Steve. The water temp isn't a concern for me. I surf year round at Assateague and have a wetsuits for temps between 70 down to 36. I'm thinking of getting out on a kayak this fall/next spring beyond the bar to meet up with stripers. I wonder if anyone has experience with this.

If just not the coldness of the water, its generally very rough surf that time of year. It would take some pretty experienced kayaker to be able to navigate the surf.

PWF, I am going to give it a try.

I am now contemplating on getting another yak...ocean kayak is coming out with one with a trolling motor that is easily removeable. The only reason I am considering this one is just for this purpose...past the bar trolling. I would think constant paddleing could get very tiring and a trolling motor would keep me at a consistent pace...of course I would only do this on very calm days.

Coop, might be cheaper in the long run to buy a Zodiac, LOL!

At least you can get that out in decent breakers...

More time on the water.

My X-13 has the mounting holes for a motor.

PWF,

I have considered this myself. On paper it seems like a worthwhile idea. Let us know the results as I will do the same if I take my yak out there.