Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esoxangler

What Other Kinds Of Fishing Do You Guys Do At The Beach?

11 posts in this topic

Sometimes when I get down to the shore I find the conditions are not good for the surf. So I move around, fish the inlet, bridge, that kind of stuff. This year I want to try tog fishing.

I haven't caught a rock from the inlet yet, like to do that this year also.

Do you guys that live at the beach try the other areas much?

Phill, all I do is pretty much fish the surf and will occasionally go offshore with my pop and go for tuna and dolphin,,,I plan on doing a little more offshore fishing this year with my pop.

Phill, fishing the inlet and back bay from shore can be very productive. the one major draw-back(atleast for me) is snaggs :x you will break-off alot of lures and weights. now one thing I do one my bottom rigs is use very light line to attach my sinkers(like 8lbs test) that way if you do get hung-up you should be able to "pop" the light line on the lead and save your lure 8)

i use the light line also, or rubber bands when toggin

Yes, there is a lot of tackle stuck in those rocks. Fishing from the OC bridge seems productive. I have never done it, but some nice Stripers can be caught there at night. If you are going to fish for rockfish they are going to be in the deeper water when it warms up. Croaker and flounder can be caught in the bays along with other critters. Some guy caught a HUGE cobia in the bay behind OC last year, so you never know what you'll run into. Fishbites, minnows and squid work well. If you want tog, you better act fast. They like cooler water.

Also, you might want to look into a charter boat. They can teach you a lot.

When the tuna arrive in force , stop by one of the local docks at the end of the day and watch them clean the catch . Rose or the other fish cleaners will be glad to give you the scraps and blood-line . A long strip of tuna with the shiny part of the skin is a killer flounder bait . But get this : Go up on the bridge at night armed with a fairly heavy actioned 8' rod , reel spooled with 50lb PP , a slip-sinker rig with flouro leader and an 8/0 hook . Put a chunk of tuna on the hook and drop it straight down in the eddy created by the current against the piling . :lol: I have limited out in 2 or 3 drops many a night while everyone else was wearin' themselves out slingin' lures . The area nearest to the draw can be very productive on those night when it's cold and windy from the west . Stripers (keepers) are there all summer long :mrgreen:

yeah, I also fish the inlet on back outta' my boat and venture off shore to some of the reefs. alot of great fishing to be had in OC 8) god I love that place :!:

one weekend we knocked the crap outta' Croakers, 3 of us caught over 200 of them in just 2 days :!: (only kept 6 for my father in-law) drifting minow/squid & fishbites combos on flounder and fish finder rigs from the #13(?) day board behind 28 st on down to the 4A split and on around to the big sand bar behind Harbour Island. we did several "night" trips down around the inlet, it is sooo nice down there at night, no boat traffic, so calm and peacefull :!:

Some great information here guys, thanks! My first choice is always AI. But I have been in town many times when the wind blows too much or the tide is too strong.

Some great information here guys, thanks! My first choice is always AI. But I have been in town many times when the wind blows too much or the tide is too strong.

I agree 110% :mrgreen: the fishing advice here is very good 8) and has help my wife and I catch fish in the surf at AI :!:

Thanks Guys :up:

One of my first Saltwater fishing experiences was from a john boat in the back bays catching flounder blues and crabs. Cheap way to go too, you can pick up a john boat with a motor for very little. The Bay and tangier sound also offer a TON of good fishing if you have access to a boat. You can have countless hours of fun if you can put yourself in a nice drift over an oyster bed. Try drifting squid strips over the oyster bed while jigging a sting sliver. You'll have your catch of trout (when they actually show up) spot and hardhead.

oh, one thing I forgot. years ago when Ocean Pines was still young, we use to fish the ponds there for Bass. is that still done :?:

also, don't forget the Pocomoke River 8) when Barb & I lived in Snow Hill, we fished it alot for Bass. they rent canoes in Snow Hill at the head of the Pocomoke and I believe they still rent boats down at Shad Landing State Park. I hooked-up on a huge Gar thier one time and it started charging the boat :!: looked like a frickin' torpedo skimming across the water at Jeff and I :shock: scared the hell outta' us :lol: