18 posts in this topic

Just wondering what most of you use for bait durring the summer??? i am mostly using squid/shiner or bloodworms .... havnt sharked yet soo nothing in that area but hope to shorty! :lol: as long as coop and sam share some of their tricks! Also...has anyone had any luck with the FISHBITES BLOODWORMS because i saw them at BPS today and was going to get some but wanted to see if anyone has used them befor?

I love FISHBITES. Randy sets me up with a sabiki rig and I catch a lot of smaller fish for them to use as bait. Last time we were down at AI, I added a small piece of FISHBITE to my rod baited with bunker and caught my first bluefish in the surf. It wasn't until I slipped a piece of the FISHBITE onto Randy's hook that anything took his bait.

Bonus to is that if you're fishing with some one who doesn't like the slimey squirm of a minnow or bloodworm, they will be cool with sliding a piece of Fishbites on their hook.

I love FISHBITES. Randy sets me up with a sabiki rig and I catch a lot of smaller fish for them to use as bait. Last time we were down at AI, I added a small piece of FISHBITE to my rod baited with bunker and caught my first bluefish in the surf. It wasn't until I slipped a piece of the FISHBITE onto Randy's hook that anything took his bait.

Bonus to is that if you're fishing with some one who doesn't like the slimey squirm of a minnow or bloodworm, they will be cool with sliding a piece of Fishbites on their hook.

you heard her Nate :!:

I also have used the Fish Bites Bloodworms and I'd have to say they DO work. now we have also used the "Fishbites" clam, shrimp and squid flavors wth little or no luck.

anyone tried the gulp baits yet? im interested to see if theres any difference, the gulbs look more natural

No - I've been wondering about the gulp bloodworms. I had a lot of success with fishbites last summer with the kinfish, croaker, spot, etc For curiosities sake I was gonna try the Gulps and do a side by side "taste test" with the fish this summer....

I've got some Berkley Gulp Saltwater baits and had a chance to use the saltwater shads @3 weeks ago in the bay, caught nothing. but I do have friends out on the west coast that swear by them.

No - I've been wondering about the gulp bloodworms. I had a lot of success with fishbites last summer with the kinfish, croaker, spot, etc For curiosities sake I was gonna try the Gulps and do a side by side "taste test" with the fish this summer....

thought of trying the same thing, fb on 1 hook, gulp on another,a nd the other rod with real bw

Dunno' about Gulps but I'd try them if I saw them. But I'd make sure I had a bag or two of Fishbites Bloodworm too.

I've used 'em from here to the FL Keys, seems like all the smaller fish like 'em.

Don't leave home without 'em!

one thing I may try on saturday, is to fillet some of those 8" Gulp shad and hook 'em on our lures while trolling, kinda like a "strip bait" dunno if it will help, we'll sea :lol:

i was thinking about getting some of the GULP but havnt heard any feed back on it but i do know that ive only heard good stuff about FISHBITES BLOODWORM soo i think i will get a few packs next time i get to BPS!!!!!

you don't have togo to BPS toget them, every tackle shop I've been to in OC has them also 8)

but i can see BPS from my bedroom window soo its within walking distance from me but i will def be gettin alot of my stuff from harbor tackle now that i know about it!

but i can see BPS from my bedroom window soo its within walking distance

You make me wanna' cry......

but i can see BPS from my bedroom window soo its within walking distance

You make me wanna' cry......

and it take me $70 in gas to go there :x

but i can see BPS from my bedroom window soo its within walking distance from me but i will def be gettin alot of my stuff from harbor tackle now that i know about it!

well thats just sweeet :lol:

Im 30mins away from our BPS and sometimes I think thats too close :D

$70 in gas to get there, hah!

But you are three cents worth from the ocean!!!!

(still wanna' cry)

Takes me 45 min to get to BPS and I'll be there Monday at high noon.

As the OP asked, summer baits:

I'll look around for the Gulps and see what other stuff they have to toss in the box.

May as well give it a try.

summer bait,,,

daytime for the small stuff - fishbites, ,,bloodworm variety, squid soaked in peeler crab oil, small cut pieces of spot or bunker.

nighttime for the small stuff - same as above except the fishbites,,,for some reason, no luck with those at night.

Coop - interesting. I really didn't notice any difference with the fishbites during the day versus nightime in the OC surf. They worked well for me day and night (spot, croaker, kingfish) But that was all I was using save for a few spot I'd cut up and use now and then - but that only gave me more skates and dogfish...