42 posts in this topic

Summertime fishing is here...Kings and blues are being caught on the beachfront, as well as some flounder. Sharks are starting to show with a couple big ones in the bunch. Some big rays have also have been caught.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Fished on the beachfront late morning and afternoon with the kids...caught some kings. Nothing on the yaked out baits. Heading to the bay to do some yak fishing this evening.

Hey Scott I am watching what you guys are doing with the yaks. Very interesting! I may be in town over the weekend to do some more sharkin'

I'm heading down tomorrow to do some fishing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights! I'll be at South beach walkover around 6pm if anyone will be there:happy3:

Fished outback with the yak...and nothing but one brief huge hook up on peeler:angry8:...hopefully it was a big ray/doggie.

You guys holding out or just crappy weather?????:icon_tongue:

I fished all day today since around sunup and caught 1 small dusky shark (3.5) on a yakked out whole bunker. That was it for the whole day.

TONS of dolphins in the water today. It was cool, they were after bait pods right behind the sandbar. They were forming circles around the bait and then crashing it.

Fished all day sat. and finally caught a shark around 4pm. It was a 4ft sandbar. Also, the girlfriend caught a nice cownose on the bait rod. We ended the day with some kings at night.

Paddled out some bunker on my longboard to try to hook a big ray. Instead hooked a shark. Got it all the way in on 50lb mono leader! At the last minute it cut the leader in half. drove off for lunch, got some wire leader, tied up a nice rig. Paddled it back out. 10 minutes later WHAM, another one. Beached this shark. It being the first I've ever caught I realized i had no idea how to handle the thing (where to grab it etc.) lucky for me a guy from GA. walked up to see me land the thing, he is a shark guy. Showed me how to hold it so it can't bend and bite, and do the release. That was a rush. It was either a Sandbar, Dusky or Atlantic Sharpnose about 4-5 feet. Whatever species, like the big rays we get in summer it was fun to reel in.

Paddled out some bunker on my longboard to try to hook a big ray. Instead hooked a shark. Got it all the way in on 50lb mono leader! At the last minute it cut the leader in half. drove off for lunch, got some wire leader, tied up a nice rig. Paddled it back out. 10 minutes later WHAM, another one. Beached this shark. It being the first I've ever caught I realized i had no idea how to handle the thing (where to grab it etc.) lucky for me a guy from GA. walked up to see me land the thing, he is a shark guy. Showed me how to hold it so it can't bend and bite, and do the release. That was a rush. It was either a Sandbar, Dusky or Atlantic Sharpnose about 4-5 feet. Whatever species, like the big rays we get in summer it was fun to reel in.

you are the first person that I heard of that targets rays instead of sharks. We would make a good team, you can reel in all the rays I catch and i'll take care of the sharks!

I doubt your shark was an Atlantic sharpnose if it was approaching 5ft. They are usually fairly small. With the recent reports during the day I would put money on a dusky.

went out yesterday, got a little ray, went out today and what a difference, non stop sharkin for about 3 hours on incoming, 2 small sandbar and one 5 foot spinner shark, lost two rigs to bite offs didnt even have a chance with them. goin back out tomorrow.

DSC03447_800x533.JPG.35354ddf4f4fae3f9b9

went out yesterday, got a little ray, went out today and what a difference, non stop sharkin for about 3 hours on incoming, 2 small sandbar and one 5 foot spinner shark, lost two rigs to bite offs didnt even have a chance with them. goin back out tomorrow.

All casted baits?

Fished on the pier last night and got two small blues and one blistering run that decided to spit the hook... also a guy hooked about a 6ft butterfly ray on a 6ft rod, the ray tried to eat a gotcha plug and he got it all the way to the pier and it wrapped the pylons. he only fought it all the way in because he wanted his lure back. lol

went out again yesterday from 4pm till 4am. ran into katman and helped him pull in a nice 5 ft dusky then 20 minutes later had another dusky or sandbar cant remember around 4 ft, i had one good run but lost it due to bad hook set, got another chance around 10pm and landed two sandbar at 53 inches and 49 inches respectively. should be out again monday eve.

DSC03450_400x600.JPG.3e0b995e82c1f773b79

DSC03451_800x533.JPG.6707f5102b442762d3e

DSC03458_800x533.JPG.b5aee2ec34b4b03cd42

All casted baits?

yes all baits casted, but im not givin up my spot, lol.

yes all baits casted, but im not givin up my spot, lol.

L O L -- i'll find your spot!

Late report...Hit the beach Wednesday with my family. Yaked out baits...first attempt, ended up with a double header 10 minutes after yaking them out...2 medium sandbars or duskies. Nothing for the rest of the day. My nephews were tearing up the spot. Great company, food, surfing and fishing on the beach!

Late report...Hit the beach Wednesday with my family. Yaked out baits...first attempt, ended up with a double header 10 minutes after yaking them out...2 medium sandbars or duskies. Nothing for the rest of the day. My nephews were tearing up the spot. Great company, food, surfing and fishing on the beach!

coop, seen ya on my way out, i was gonna stop by but seen you out on your yak and had the wife and friends with me, im gonna be out again monday, wens, thurs. drop me a pm if your going out.

coop, seen ya on my way out, i was gonna stop by but seen you out on your yak and had the wife and friends with me, im gonna be out again monday, wens, thurs. drop me a pm if your going out.

Dave, I'll give ya a call if I can head out...Got stoked after I talked to ya about your catch with the spinner the other day.

Fished all day yesterday and it was pretty rough out. Lots of white caps and 8oz were barely holding. Yak stayed on the beach and didn't get wet. Hopefully these "march" conditions improve soon. When is summer weather pattern going to start??????

Hit the beach today and yaked some baits...got a fun size sandbar or duskie. Hit the lever into free spool by accident when I was fighting him and the spool spun out of control and burnt my thumb up to try top stop it...not smart. Had to work the shark to get him revived to swim back...finally, swam off strong.

went out to the pier tonight and got probably 100spot on a sabiki rig and a 3.5ft butterfly ray. Also there were small hammer heads every where, i dont think they were bonnets but who knows. I also got a very hard run on a kingfish head but when i set the hook it just didnt penetrate i guess o well tomorrows another day...