19 posts in this topic

Ok, I took the plunge and bought a couple little rigs for the freshies. I seeme to have forgotten that there are fish in the ponds and rivers.

So without breaking the bank, and knowing rigs will be lost, what's good?

What are the basics for a freshie box?

Need some spinners, cranks, worms, etc.....

Right?

The plan is to start with the local lakes, fairly large, bout a mile long and 300 yards wide.

Dunno' what is in there....

Depends on what you actually want to fish for and where you want to fish for them from. And without breaking the bank???? Then I would suggest some spinners, a couple shallow crankbaits, worms, grubs and tubes. Make sure you have some topwater, there is nothing more exciting than watching a bass shred a topwater at dusk or dawn. Don't forget hooks (I typically keep 1/0 hooks in the bottom of my box) assorted split shot sinkers, bobbers and bell sinkers up to 1oz. I keep ultralite and med action rods handy whenever I'm fishing freshwater. Ultralite I spool with 4lb test Med Action I spool with 8lb or 12lb depending on what I'm fishing for with it. If I'm casting artificials, I'll use 8lb if I'm bottom fishing, jigging or drifting a minnow I'll use 12lb test.

You gonna use your yak Steve :?: Sounds like that lake deserves a good troll..... 8)

One of my favorite freshwater baits is the ol nightcrawler. Not worms , nightcrawlers. Their free lately.... I was taught by a ol timer around here, to take a needle and inflate the nightcrawler about 2x normal size. Then drag it across the bottom slowly.... or minnows on a free run live line stlye....always catch somthing that way... :mrgreen:

small jig heads, 1/16, 1/8 oz for crappy and blue gill.

maybe some buzzbaits, jitterbugs, poppers

oh the list is endless, lol

Thanks guys, yeah, I will toss my yak in and work where I can't reach from shore. There is an island in the middle I can kick back on. I know another way to get nighties, two copper spikes on a damp night, drive 'em in the ground, attach 120 volt and they start wiggling out of the ground en masse. Wonder if that still works with all the new-fangled circuit breakers installed?

Alright, I' head to BPS and hit their sale bins, lots of Rapalas, Mepps, etc for a buck or two.

Thanks guys, yeah, I will toss my yak in and work where I can't reach from shore. There is an island in the middle I can kick back on. I know another way to get nighties, two copper spikes on a damp night, drive 'em in the ground, attach 120 volt and they start wiggling out of the ground en masse. Wonder if that still works with all the new-fangled circuit breakers installed?

Alright, I' head to BPS and hit their sale bins, lots of Rapalas, Mepps, etc for a buck or two.

ive done that elec thing for crawlers too, lol. fun isnt it!

Last I saw it done was my grandfather saying "watch this", way too long ago.

It works good on getting kids out of bed for school too.

Harharharhar, kidding.....

Seriously, cattle prods are easier to use on the kids than running all those wires....

my $.02.....most of the freshwater Bass I've caught over the years were on "purple worms" rigged Carolina style and 3/8 oz brown & black pig 'n jigs

Ok, so what do Bass taste like in the saltwater arena?

got me, all* the Bass I've caught wether it be fresh or tidal waters were released

* except one citation largemouth caught at Liberty resvor in 1980

also of note, I've caught alot of tidal Bass on the Potomac river, near DC. all on "fire tiger" crank baits and I would not ever eat anything outta' that river :!:

It's been a while for me to say but just some good eating(white, flaky, juicy and good to eat and catch)To say it taste like something is hard to say..........It would be like telling someone what fish does a rock taste like. just one of those fish that has a taste of there own.